98 chevy 1500 engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
well i hope i got all the plastic out. i got the intake laid down and im a little nervous becuase when it was set down it was a little to far back but the bolt sucked it down but it moved a little so im gonna guess it didnt smear. i got it all back together but the destuributer i was slideing the little screw on the cap and it broke the hole off but my buddys dad had a extra one so im useing that.

would any of you mind posting a picture of your disturibter and what way the plug in from the harness is facing.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well i hope i got all the plastic out. i got the intake laid down and im a little nervous becuase when it was set down it was a little to far back but the bolt sucked it down but it moved a little so im gonna guess it didnt smear. i got it all back together but the destuributer i was slideing the little screw on the cap and it broke the hole off but my buddys dad had a extra one so im useing that.

would any of you mind posting a picture of your disturibter and what way the plug in from the harness is facing.

Ummm, others peoples engines are going ot be different, did u not mark where the rotor and cap where when u pulled dizzy?

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
Ya it was marked but idk what happened because when I fired it up it started to make a ringing noise with I figure is spark knock with is cylinder pre fire correct? Witch means advanced timing

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
well i set it back to top dead center and i put the dist with roter button faceing number one plug and put cap on and still nothing! i wired it right the i double checked my work with the chilton. and it fired when it was way out of wack.

when i let off the key it sounds like exhaust sound. pulled a plug out and it was a little wet. and only other thing i did beside set it back to tdc was change oil with 5qts of castrole gtx synthic blend 10w-30

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well i set it back to top dead center and i put the dist with roter button faceing number one plug and put cap on and still nothing! i wired it right the i double checked my work with the chilton. and it fired when it was way out of wack.

when i let off the key it sounds like exhaust sound. pulled a plug out and it was a little wet. and only other thing i did beside set it back to tdc was change oil with 5qts of castrole gtx synthic blend 10w-30

1. Set TDC
2. Drop in Dizzy
3. Make sure rotor is pointing at the #1 Terminal on the INSIDE of the cap, Doesnt matter if its pointing at the #1 cylinder or not, just make sure at #1 TDC the rotor is pointing at the #1 wire terminal

and you SHOULD use a timing light :deal:

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
thanks for clearing that up.

i have never used a timing light before how do i go about that?

and what im explaining does it sound like out of time?

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You connect the timing light to the battery and a spark plug wire and then point the strobe at your harmonic balancer. The strobe light will show you the hash marks on your balancer and they should be right in spec with the data plate under your hood.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go pick one up after dinner tonight.
And my plugs seem a little wet but not much