98 chevy 1500 engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ya i have always liked the color i think they called it spice orange its a flake style of chevy orange

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
I got a question on the timing the engine came with no distrubiter in it how do I set it all up with out taking off the timing cover?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I got a question on the timing the engine came with no distrubiter in it how do I set it all up with out taking off the timing cover?

turn engine to TDC at piston #1.
Drop disbutor in with cap OFF, and point the rotor toward cylinder #1.
Put cap on and line up #1 sparkplug terminal with rotor.

This will put you damn near 0.

Also, dont be paranoid if the rotor doesnt point directley at number 1, as long as the rotor and #1 spakplug terminal line up when the #1 is a TDC. it will fire.

TDC= Top Dead Center. Easy way to tell if its at TDC is the line on the harmonic balancer will line up with the line for 0*s

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
update:
i got the engine all painted up from when i last posted pics. i painted all the accesorys. im about to paint the intake and bolt it all up nicely.

now my next question is how do you guys support the transmisson when you pull your engines? wrachet straps if so where?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I either use a floor jack, and a block of wood, so you don't crush the trans pan, or a big wrachet strap, right in front of the trans pan kind of in the little valley between the pan and bell housing and around both frame rail's.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ya i was gonna run two wrachet straps between where the bell houseing and pan meet. also any tips on how think the rvt bead should be on the intake gasket? and what do i do with that pushes out?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
jack and a block of wood on the trans, so you can move it up or down to line up the engine.

do a nice thick bead of RTV, put on intake, then cut of excess with a knife after it dries.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
im just about sick of this truck it would get past the trans it just gets stuck the people i asked said go to the rear diff and pull off the 4 bolts to the drive shaft pull the 2 bolts from the carriing bearing and pull the trans back a few inchs and then it will slide right in.

i seem to be cough on it before i can even get the "little nubs" that slide in to the engine and bell houseing. its pure hell any tips?