98 chevy 1500 engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ya if i am correct its all bolt right up and plug it all back in the right way the head will line up perfect and all i will need is gasket for heads and intake gasket and silicone

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, votec's differ in that they use a roller cam, and TBI truck motor's are flat tappet, you can leave the flat tappet cam in but power will be a little less than with the roller, and your rpm redline will be 4500 instead of 5500, the roller cam motor rev's easier and higher and makes more power up high, now there is nothing wrong woth a tbi motor either, I just want to be clear as to the differences. Also you will have to pull and swap the timing chain I would buy a new one, and timing chain cover, the timing chain cover on a vortec is plastic and houses the crank position sensor, you have to have it on a vortec, but also underneath the timing chain cover is the reluctor wheel that the crank sensor reads off of, and the Vortec uses a special thin timing chain and gears to allow room for the reluctor wheel to fit between the block and cover. Good luck with your project!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also the head's will bolt up no problem, and you can put the roller cam in the tbi block, it's already machined for it they all are, but there are 3 boss's for 3 bolt's that hold the lifter hold down in place, on some TBI block's they are drilled and tapped and on some the aren't, but you could drill and tap it yourself if it isn't.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
hey gusd thanks alot a huge help her now my truck has all new timing gears and cover and crank postioin senser is new to and such you see the guy before blew the vortec blcok that came orginal and he put a 350tbi out of a 92 in this truck now im putting another 350tbni block so im going to guess i can just work off what that moter had. phew u guys are a huge help also if i chose to use the roller cam if this one has it how would i install is it simple also if i have to drill it how would i go about that

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The timing chain will have to be replaced with a Vortec style one and put the reluctor wheel off your old motor on it
and when you have it all together it's going to need a crank relearn

also if i chose to use the roller cam if this one has it how would i install is it simple also if i have to drill it how would i go about that

I highly recommended a roller cam because you can rev higher and it gives you more power than the old TBI setup and if it has the bosses for the spider hold down from what I've heard you get the hold down off your old motor and use it as a template just make sure you get ALL the metal shavings out

The TBI Motors have a 2 piece rear main and vortecs have a 1 piece rear main don't know if that makes a difference or not

Last edited:

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
the moter i have has the plastic cover on it and all the vortec stuff and what is a relearn?

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A Crank Relearn Makes the computer relearn where Top Dead center is (When Piston #1 is up as far as it can go) a dealer or a independent with the right scan tool can do this

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info i would of nerver got that done i got a guy whpo wants to help me but he wants 1000 fir labor to do a rebuild on my block in the truck replace bearing and gaskets