98' C1500 Rear drums - Whats wrong (pic)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoob8000

Reaction score
So just really pulled my drums for the first time. What the heck is going on here?

I'm used to seeing the adjuster on the bottom, opposite of the wheel cylinder. The adjuster hole on the backing plate doesn't line up either. It's behind nothing but the top of the front shoe.

Did someone use the wrong spring kit and backing plate or what? (Click pic to enlarge)

You must be registered for see images attach

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
I guess the adjuster is on top on our trucks. I guess I'm just used to all my other RWD GM's of years past.

I need to pick up a book for these things..

Yeah they changed if for these truck and IMO I hate it.

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That is correct. Its a little simpler than drums of the past. They work great, its the dual step master cylinder on these trucks that give fits with the pedal feel. If you will do a abrupt stop in reverse every once in a while (assuming the adjusters are not frozen), it will keep them adjusted properly.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look at the bottom of the backing plate you should see the knock outs (drill outs, actually) that line up with the adjuster. Open those up and you can adjust the shoes manually.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep that is the exact same way mine looked when I changed them this past weekend.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you look at the bottom of the backing plate you should see the knock outs (drill outs, actually) that line up with the adjuster. Open those up and you can adjust the shoes manually.

The adjusters are at the top, though. Right there under the cylinder. The blue arm is the ratchet that rides on the adjuster wheel teeth.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The adjusters are at the top, though. Right there under the cylinder. The blue arm is the ratchet that rides on the adjuster wheel teeth.

Wow...That's really different than my set up- are they JB5's or JB6's?

What's at the bottom of the drum, another wheel cylinder?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those are the JB5's. Check the RPO codes in the glove box.
There has been much discussion on the bad brakes of the 1988-1998 body style.
The rear drum brake adjusters do not work properly, and many find themselves having to manually adjust them every thousand miles or so in order to get the rears to work properly, or they have to cut holes in parts in order to do that as the JB5s do not come with a way to easily adjust the brakes.
You can convert to the JB6 rear brakes, but even that is not a bolt-on. It requires that the rear end be modified as the backing plates on the JB5 set has a rectangular pattern and the JB6 has a larger square pattern.
An alternative would be a new rear end from a truck that already has the JB6 brakes. The JB6 adjusters will work as they should, which will keep the rears adjusted properly.
**BUT**, the JB6 drums & axles are 6 bolt.
Band-aids to avoid the large part replacement include stainless flex lines and DOT-4 brake fluid. The stainless flex lines will work wonders for your brakes, it will make your truck stop like other cars do, like within a reasonably safe distance, and the DOT-4 fluid can handle higher temps, which reduces fading.
Super lube the self adjuster with anti seize on the treads, both male and female. Be careful not to use too much. The key is to have the adjuster star wheel turn freely and why I always use liberal (enough without dripping onto the braking surface) amounts of anti-seize on both male/female portions of the star wheel. Plus the star wheel itself. (female cavity that goes onto the post of the threaded part).

JB5's are archaic and a dumb design. I find the teeth on the adjusters to be far apart which might contribute to the mushy feeling. Too much wear/gap needed before the next tooth is engaged.

The JB5's can be modified by drilling the drum's hat section.
Drilling a hole in the drum hat section will allow you to tighten them even more than what the adjusters will do on their own. Just note that the shoe will wear out faster, but that's a good thing, since now they are doing some real work.
That hole needs to be big enough and aligned to the adjuster wheel. 1/2" works. Then it can be manually adjusted from the wheel side. The backing plate side has the axle tube and flange in the way.
Measure from the center of the hub to about where you want the 1/2" dia hole to be over that adjustment wheel.
Then put the drum back on and remeasure for the center punch.
If you have alloys, consider it lucky if this new hole lines up with one of the openings so that you won't have to remove a wheel to manually adjust them.
Then add rear shoe wear inspection for each oil change and have a spare set of shoes ready.

Last edited: