'97 Tahoe Needs a New A/C Compressor. Needing Advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard from the dealer on my A/C that it is apparently leaking from the compressor.
They quoted almost $1300 to replace and recharge. NOT happening!
Holy f***! People tryin' to make Cancun vacation money on each job they get. The sad part is that's about $800 profit, and the tech who's doing the work is only making about $100.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I get the Tahoe back and can see no real signs that the dealer did anything to check and verify the compressor is the issue.
The compressor is dirty but mainly dry as it hasn't been used for some time.
I don't see anything under it or around it that would indicate a fresh leak, wetness etc. Just a little of the usual grim that accumulates under the hood.
Is there a check I can do to see if it is really leaking or would it be best to take it to another shop that does A/C work to get another opinion?
There is obviously a leak and from what you guys say the compressor is the likely source.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a check I can do to see if it is really leaking or would it be best to take it to another shop that does A/C work to get another opinion?

Post a picture of the compressor for all to see please. Take a picture from the side of the compressor, akin to this perspective:

You must be registered for see images attach

RE: Dealer, they may have put a UV light on the compressor (assuming the system has dye in it) and seen evidence of leakage.

Last edited:

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I haven't. Haven't had a chance to even look at it. Also waiting to hear back from Truckac with some questions before purchasing.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you replace the compressor and associated parts (orifice tube is a must, and I HIGHLY recommended replacing condenser AND every single seal if you don't want to do this again) call up a refrigerator repairman. They have r134 on hand, and can do a vacuum down and charge in maybe a hour and a half. We do it all the time at work between our commercial jobs.