'97 Tahoe Needs a New A/C Compressor. Needing Advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just heard from the dealer on my A/C that it is apparently leaking from the compressor.
They quoted almost $1300 to replace and recharge. NOT happening!

What options do I have to do this more economically? I am very capable of changing out the parts.

Thanks for any advice!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
#1 advice get the truck out of the dealer. Why is it there for an A/C problem? If you're not versed in A/C I fully understand not DIY'ing it, but get away from the dealer as you will pay full price plus.

The compressor used on your '97 is the HT6 otherwise known as the "belly leaker" and they are prone to leaking at the seal in the case. If you notice oily residue all over the compressor body and around it, this is the issue.

You could replace with another, or upgrade. Sanden is the popular go-to here and they have replacements for the HT6 that will bolt in. Do beware of Chinesium copies; some of them are probably acceptable but there's risk you'll get junk. When they start talking about "Sanden style" you know it's a knockoff. #6511340 should be the Sanden that fits your truck but do some research before buying.

Also do expect to spend some amount of money on parts and labor. Although your compressor may just be leaking, not grenaded, if you want the new compressor to live (and be warrantied in case of issue) you'll need to flush the system, replace the orifice tube, and accumulator. Then, have it vacuumed down, filled with oil and charged to specification.

Richard

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#1 advice get the truck out of the dealer. Why is it there for an A/C problem? If you're not versed in A/C I fully understand not DIY'ing it, but get away from the dealer as you will pay full price plus.

The compressor used on your '97 is the HT6 otherwise known as the "belly leaker" and they are prone to leaking at the seal in the case. If you notice oily residue all over the compressor body and around it, this is the issue.

You could replace with another, or upgrade. Sanden is the popular go-to here and they have replacements for the HT6 that will bolt in. Do beware of Chinesium copies; some of them are probably acceptable but there's risk you'll get junk. When they start talking about "Sanden style" you know it's a knockoff. #6511340 should be the Sanden that fits your truck but do some research before buying.

Also do expect to spend some amount of money on parts and labor. Although your compressor may just be leaking, not grenaded, if you want the new compressor to live (and be warrantied in case of issue) you'll need to flush the system, replace the orifice tube, and accumulator. Then, have it vacuumed down, filled with oil and charged to specification.

Richard
Thanks for the info. I took it to the dealer to have it charged and see if there was a leak. I suspected a leak since it has been dead since it's last charge a few years ago. I don't use it much.
My plan was to replace the compressor myself and then take it to a local shop to get re-setup.

CumminsBronco

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought several Sanden comps. from Truckac.com. Always had good, fast service from them.
Wirlybird....where ya located?

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i run Sanden #4261 from UAC after finding this info bought it from rock auto with 5% off $171.93,it spins faster at idle since it has the smaller pully,it's friggen ice cold at idle now, hard to find the post so i added a pic

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 11-54-40 97 Tahoe 2-door who makes the best quality replacement AC co...png
    Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 11-54-40 97 Tahoe 2-door who makes the best quality replacement AC co...png
    606.3 KB · Views: 12

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like that part # I gave you is a dead end; dunno why several sites suggest it but it doesn't seem to come up as a real Sanden #. Here's some info direct from Sanden's site - this is a PDF of their GM replacement compressors: https://www.sanden.com/objects/GM Replacements.pdf

From that page, the # 4440 is the one you're looking for. Again, you'll want to verify for yourself before buying anything. Compressor should run you about $200 from the site Cummins Bronco suggested; other places have it for significantly higher. They also have the "Sanden style" replacements for it at a higher price, which is kind of confusing to me..

Richard

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like that part # I gave you is a dead end; dunno why several sites suggest it but it doesn't seem to come up as a real Sanden #. Here's some info direct from Sanden's site - this is a PDF of their GM replacement compressors: https://www.sanden.com/objects/GM Replacements.pdf

From that page, the # 4440 is the one you're looking for. Again, you'll want to verify for yourself before buying anything. Compressor should run you about $200 from the site Cummins Bronco suggested; other places have it for significantly higher. They also have the "Sanden style" replacements for it at a higher price, which is kind of confusing to me..

Richard
Thanks, I managed to find that Sanden info also and confirm that the 4440 seems to be the one. I'll contact truckac to confirm. Thanks for the help.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4261 on my Express van. Same compressor as the 4440 with a slightly smaller pulley. I ordered mine directly from Sandens website and it shipped from Wylie, TX. Be sure to flush the system, change the orifice tube and accumulator. Also get a bottle of Sanden SP-15 as you will need more oil than Sanden ships that compressor with. I like the 4261 so far. AC is ice cold, the compressor ins very quiet and you barely feel it kick on power wise then again I have a 383.