97 k2500, 5.7 vortec no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrmush3

Reaction score
Hello, my 97 GMC K2500 with the 5.7 vortec died when i was backing into the yard. Now it wont crank most of the time and when it does it cranks very slowly for a second or two. Any tips on diag?

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will this puppy take a jump start? And if it does start and run with a jump does it die just after or very soon after the jump box/ battery jump cables have been removed from the battery?

jrmush3

Reaction score
Thank you, Ive had it hooked to my impala and all the lights work and gauge says 14 volts

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next question would be how long have you had the jumper cables on this bad boy? If you haven't already, let 'er charge for a good 10 minutes or so before hitting the key on your truck.

If it starts after the 10 minutes and runs, remove the cables and see what happens. If it runs and either immediately dies or dies off within a few minutes, you may be looking at an alternator.

Other things you could check would be the battery cable connections at the battery to start with. If you're still using side terminal cables, these tend to get corroded at times and can cause all kinds of starting and electrical problems. Start by disconnecting both sides to check for corrosion and or loose connections. If these are okay, then check the battery cable connections at the other end of the cables....i.e. negative cable connection at the engine and positive battery cable connections at the starter for condition and security.

Last edited:

jrmush3

Reaction score
Ive had it sitting for a while, it only will crank for a couple seconds before stopping. Im gonna put it on a trickle charger today and see if that works

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had it sitting for a while, it only will crank for a couple seconds before stopping. Im gonna put it on a trickle charger today and see if that works
Good idea. I kept going back and adding things to that last post as I thought of 'em so re-read my last post when you get a chance. It's pretty early on a Sunday and I'm only on my first cup of coffee.
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure your battery cables, ground point, and starter connection are all clean and tight.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media