'97 K1500 Suburban 5.7L Starter Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On to potentially the dumbest question in the thread so far...

That GM/ACDelco reman starter that I mentioned I was considering on the first page, part number 10465389 (ACDelco 323-1064)... Is it direct drive or PMGR? I'm not smart enough to tell from the pictures, and I can't find that specification anywhere. Link to the part in question:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3573306&jsn=724

EDIT - Side question, how do I tell which type is currently on the truck by looking?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On to potentially the dumbest question in the thread so far...

That GM/ACDelco reman starter that I mentioned I was considering on the first page, part number 10465389 (ACDelco 323-1064)... Is it direct drive or PMGR? I'm not smart enough to tell from the pictures, and I can't find that specification anywhere. Link to the part in question:

Judging by the picture, I would say "not". There's no space in the casting (in front of the motor housing) for planetaries, at least for the starter pictured in your link. Compare to the PMGR unit pictured by @Schurkey earlier in this thread, and notice the shorter motor housing (w/ smaller, high-RPM PM motor) and longer casting (w/ space for the planetaries) on the PMGR.

Too, the position of the solenoid seems to tell the same tale, in particular the arm off the solenoid which drives the pinion into the ring gear.

@Schurkey 's image of a PMGR starter is copied below (which uncharacteristically does not bear his © notice):

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a part number for those bolts, by chance?
Listed in the .pdf, attached. Also noted on the updated photo in previous post. That number is for the longer bolts; with many of the OEM starters, you'd need two long bolts with 168-tooth flywheel, one long, one short bolt is needed if you have the 153-tooth flywheel.

Note that "Remy" got spun-off of GM just like so many other companies. For many years, "Delco-Remy" was a single operating unit of GM. Best I can tell, Remy got bought-out by yet another company; I don't think they exist any more.

The Rockauto link says it's a "SD255". I've never heard of the "255" part, but the SD300 is the old 10MT; which is the direct-drive unit I'm familiar with. So I figure "SD" is direct drive, 255 is lighter-duty than the usual 10MT.

Attachments

• Remy PG260 Upgrade.pdf
    262.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone!

So far I'm still leaning towards the new production ACDelco Gold 337-1022 that 1998_K1500_Sub posted but will continue looking into other options. Feel free to keep posting suggestions. I'm going to pick up a few of those starter bolts that Schurkey brought up too just in case.

In the event that the PDF link goes down for some reason in the future, the GM part numbers for the PMGR 3/8"x16 thread starter bolts are 12338064 (long) and 14037733 (short). The PDF indicates that depending on application you will need either two of the long bolts, or one long and one short.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Note that "Remy" got spun-off of GM just like so many other companies. For many years, "Delco-Remy" was a single operating unit of GM. Best I can tell, Remy got bought-out by yet another company; I don't think they exist any more.

I beleive Remy got split in two within the last couple of years. The heavy duty line of parts I think is still a real manufacturer, but now owned by Borg Warner??? The Remy consumer automotive line got sold to one of the big reman outfits.... not Cardone, Though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd go with the PMGR. I bought this AC Delco in February of 2019:

It was new, made in Korea. My only issue with it, is that the original heat shield doesn't directly bolt on. It hasn't seemed to be an issue running without one, Though.

I've got a 454, but I think the starter would fit the 350, too.

I would have gone with the fancy 281-8002 Denso, but it was about twice as much, and I didn't have the spare $$$ at the time.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know you already got your question answered on telling the difference, but it's pretty easy when you climb underneath and look. There's a significant size (and weight) difference between the direct drive and pmgr starters.

On the mini - wouldn't sweat the heat shield much; I've seen countless mini starters without the heat shield yet never experienced one that had issues with heat soak, and while I'm sure there are hotter places in the U.S., SE TX gets pretty damned hot. If you've got the mini already and replace it with another, sure, swap the shield over if you have it.

Here's the direct-drive monster..

And the awesome mini

The perspective of the pics makes the size difference not quite apparent but when you see them in person you'll go wow, they're unmistakably different.

There's also on -some- GMT400's a slightly shorter version of the large starter, haven't seen many of them, and unsure if it's an OEM piece or some weird aftermarket item. It still has the full size body, it's a direct drive unit, but not as long as the ones we're used to seeing so many of. Want to say last one I saw came off a '97 K1500 with the 5.7.

Anyway go with the OEM style mini starter, and the correct bolts as have been detailed, and you won't be sorry. Brand at this point may not matter as you're almost surely getting Chinesium no matter what. Going with a "known" brand is probably wise just in terms of hoping for better QC. AC Delco, Remy...

Richard

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone!

So far I'm still leaning towards the new production ACDelco Gold 337-1022 that 1998_K1500_Sub posted but will continue looking into other options.

Don't overlook that Denso unit that @SAATR mentioned.

I gravitate to the Denso product line when available. Maybe that's just me.