97 k1500 radiator problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 k1500 ecsb 5.7 auto, i am on my 5th radiator in 2 years. I have flushed the system each time, installed new water pump, radiator cap, and thermostat. All radiators have been from orielly and have been warrantied, but im tired of having to swap them every 4 or 5 months.. has anyone had a problem with the core leaking?? It has happened in the center of 4 of them and on the side of this one... in the core, not the plastic tanks on the side.. only highway driving, no mud or sticks in radiator, never touched anything or rubbed anything...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
One should note just how many times the word "ground" is used in that page, and pay very close attention to that. :)

Richard

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see any missing ground straps... guess i can clean them up and add a couple more...

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I know the GM G and H bodies in the 80's and 90's had ground straps going to the heater cores to prevent this. After reading that article, I don't recall seeing one for my truck. Anyone know if there s one?

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive checked voltage with truck running and not running, i have flushed radiator, whst is the best way to get all of the old coolant/water out of the block and cooling system??? Before the flush i was around .76 volts dc, now it is around .34 with water only... the core in the radiator will start leaking....