97 C1500 383 Stroker build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My block was from a '91 Chevy K2500, 2 bolt main but I know a lot of people suggest that a 4 bolt main engine is a better foundation to build on. I am not sure how to identify the 4 bolt main engines.
If you're doing serious towing or getting near 500 hp you'll want 4-bolt mains. There's no way to tell without pulling the pan and looking at the main caps because 2 and 4 bolts are both machined from the same block casting. If you're going for all-out power, it's better to start with a 2 bolt main block and have it machined for splayed main caps, but I don't know how much a machine shop charges for that.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4 bolt main is a better foundation to build on because the can take more power than the 2 bolt mains. If you wanna know if it's 2 bolt or 4 bolt you have to remove the oil pan and look at a crank bearing cap and count how many bolts are there. The pic below is a 4 bolt main if there was 2 instead of four then it's a 2 bolt.

2 bolt is a better foundation because you can put stronger splayed 4 bolt caps on them.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
true but if your adding any power adders such as turbo, supercharge, nitrous then 4 bolt is a better platform

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
true but if your adding any power adders such as turbo, supercharge, nitrous then 4 bolt is a better platform
A factory 4 bolt is weaker than a splayed 2 bolt block. Then again if you are getting to the point of needing splayed caps, better to go with a Dart SHP block and go with a 4.125" bore. After running all the $$$ for my 383, I could have had a 415 for not all that much more.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there to hopefully shed light on this from another angle.

I have a 1995 Chev K1500 that recently got an L05 and a 1998 C1500 that recently got an L31. Both were "massaged" and remanufactured by the same machine shop. The machine shop guys told me that both 4-bolt and 2-bolt blocks come from the same casting but the stronger engine blocks are the ones that came from factory with 2 bolt main bearings and have the additional bolts machined in afterwards by a caring machine shop. I'm more into driving my babies smoothly than I am into racing or abusing them so it didn't seem important to add this "upgrade" for all the difference it was going to make for me.