96k3500 delayed start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For shyts and giggles, have you tried shifting to neutral and cranking? When it doesn't start in park, that is...

I also dont see the picture you didnt post.

If you replaced the PRNDL switch, you caused this problem. It's not security, it's out of position. Get a scanner, go to the data stream and find "gear selection". Loosen the PRNDL switch and move it until is states P when you're in Park, OD when in OD, and 1st when... well fill in the blank

This morning I shifted into neutral and it didn’t start. Eventually the light will turn on and indicate what gear it’s in. When the key is in the ACC position, the gear indicator works correctly and I can cycle through all the gear. But when I turn it to Run, the light goest away until I wait the previous mentioned time and go through that process to get the truck to start. So when the light does eventually come on with the key in the run position, and before starting the truck, I can shift the gear and the indicator will cycle through all the gears correctly. But when I start the truck, even before shift into Drive, the light goes away within 10sec or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Battery is on passenger side, electrical convenience center (fuse/relay block) is on driver side, 1995-up. There's a large positive cable running across the fan shroud from the battery to the electrical center. It's where its power comes from for the entire truck (other than the other positive wire straight down to the starter solenoid.) However, if you've got any signs of life at all in the truck then it's probably low on the suspect list. Now that we're seeing your pic I can see that you do have power to the dash, just no gear indicator LED.

Richard

My battery is on the drivers side. Had to make room for the Whipples intake

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you're thinking of the 88-94 style where it's mounted over the base of the steering column? I don't recall there being any adjustment in the 95-up range switch itself; it just bolts to the side of the transmission.

Richard

My '00 Denali, 5.7/4L60 is adjustable. I just changed the tranny due to hard parts failure. The bolt holes are larger than the bolt and like I stated earlier, it needs a scanner to set "park" location

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This morning I shifted into neutral and it didn’t start. Eventually the light will turn on and indicate what gear it’s in. When the key is in the ACC position, the gear indicator works correctly and I can cycle through all the gear. But when I turn it to Run, the light goest away until I wait the previous mentioned time and go through that process to get the truck to start. So when the light does eventually come on with the key in the run position, and before starting the truck, I can shift the gear and the indicator will cycle through all the gears correctly. But when I start the truck, even before shift into Drive, the light goes away within 10sec or so.

Weird. Never heard of your situation before.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could also simply be the range switch or its harness connectors, down at the transmission. If it doesn't think you're in park or neutral it will not let you crank the engine. It's also responsible for letting the truck know what gear you have selected.

Richard

Expanding on that (and since it’s free to check), it wouldn’t hurt to look at the shift cable connection at the transmission. There is a plastic clip at the end that can break. To adjust, pull the white clip out (not all the way) and rotate the lever full clockwise to get to the park position. Cycle the shifter through the gears a few times, rotate it back to park and push the clip back in. Maybe that will help, though if it does I’d be shopping for a new cable.

Here’s a video someone did on a 4L60e. Diagrams below are for a 1998 4L80e, looks to be the same setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My battery is on the drivers side. Had to make room for the Whipples intake

Well that would make the difference in whether that wire is running across from the passenger side. ;) :D

My '00 Denali, 5.7/4L60 is adjustable. I just changed the tranny due to hard parts failure. The bolt holes are larger than the bolt and like I stated earlier, it needs a scanner to set "park" location
Good to know. It's been long enough that I've pulled one of these that I don't recall the bolt holes being slotted at all. AFAIK the adjustment was all at the cable, re: the video east302 just linked.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check for voltage at the starter next. If the starter is it getting power, start looking elsewhere. It could be an intermittent starter problem.

That doesn't explain the dash gear selector indicator acting weird though. But I think that would be the next step.

Otherwise you be chasing your tail looking at other stuff. Start with the basics.