96k3500 delayed start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Chevy K3500 with the Vortec 7.4l and I’m having an issue starting the truck. It’s been sitting for awhile but the battery is good. When I put the key to start the truck, it will not crank. And as you can see in the picture, the night for the gear selector goes away. After about 10min or so, i turn the key off, pull it out, then put it back in to the on position. Then 2min later, the light comes on for the gear selector and I can start my truck. Once I put it in gear and start driving away, the gear selector light turns off again. When I stop and turn the truck off, I can’t restart it without having to go through the whole process all over again. It’s almost like a security/passlock thing, but this truck is a 1996. I don’t think it has that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's nothing at all like Passlock trouble, and you are correct that 96 does not have it (it didn't hit the GMT400 scene until 98 models.)

My educated guesses would be, ignition switch (the electrical portion inside the column, not the tumbler itself), and the positive cable that runs across your fan shroud from the battery to the electrical center.

It could also simply be the range switch or its harness connectors, down at the transmission. If it doesn't think you're in park or neutral it will not let you crank the engine. It's also responsible for letting the truck know what gear you have selected.

Richard

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's nothing at all like Passlock trouble, and you are correct that 96 does not have it (it didn't hit the GMT400 scene until 98 models.)

My educated guesses would be, ignition switch (the electrical portion inside the column, not the tumbler itself), and the positive cable that runs across your fan shroud from the battery to the electrical center.

It could also simply be the range switch or its harness connectors, down at the transmission. If it doesn't think you're in park or neutral it will not let you crank the engine. It's also responsible for letting the truck know what gear you have selected.

Richard

Very interesting. I don’t believe I have any cable running across my fan shroud. Also, I did replace that gear selector switch and nothing changed. You might me onto something with the ignition switch... I’ll look into that.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For shyts and giggles, have you tried shifting to neutral and cranking? When it doesn't start in park, that is...

I also dont see the picture you didnt post.

If you replaced the PRNDL switch, you caused this problem. It's not security, it's out of position. Get a scanner, go to the data stream and find "gear selection". Loosen the PRNDL switch and move it until is states P when you're in Park, OD when in OD, and 1st when... well fill in the blank

Last edited:

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For shyts and giggles, have you tried shifting to neutral and cranking? When it doesn't start in park, that is...

If you replaced the PRNDL switch, you caused this problem. It's not security, it's out of position. Get a scanner, go to the data stream and find "gear selection". Loosen the PRNDL switch and move it until is states P when you're in Park, OD when in OD, and 1st when... well fill in the blank

I only replaced the PRNDL switch while trying to trouble shoot the issue. Also I just sent the picture.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Sounds like you're thinking of the 88-94 style where it's mounted over the base of the steering column? I don't recall there being any adjustment in the 95-up range switch itself; it just bolts to the side of the transmission.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Very interesting. I don’t believe I have any cable running across my fan shroud. Also, I did replace that gear selector switch and nothing changed. You might me onto something with the ignition switch... I’ll look into that.

Battery is on passenger side, electrical convenience center (fuse/relay block) is on driver side, 1995-up. There's a large positive cable running across the fan shroud from the battery to the electrical center. It's where its power comes from for the entire truck (other than the other positive wire straight down to the starter solenoid.) However, if you've got any signs of life at all in the truck then it's probably low on the suspect list. Now that we're seeing your pic I can see that you do have power to the dash, just no gear indicator LED.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked your starter relay? On my K3500 it's happened where the relay pops a bit loose out of the terminal socket, and I get nothing when I try to crank it, but the dash is illuminated. I don't remember if the gear selector light goes out too. It's happened a few times. I have to bend a bit the little metal terminals and it starts again.

But initially I was puzzled.