96 K1500 1 ton front axle swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
G’day fellars, curious,.... trucks just about 100% restored,... with upgrades. Only have 243C xfer case and front axle to rebuild. As with most of this truck, instead of going back with stock, I upgraded. Question, can we simply bolt up a 4x4 1 ton front axle in place of the 1/2 ton,...... or would a 3/4 bolt up same? Probably dumb question I know,....and admittedly, I have not done any research yet.

Gonna be changing the FLT 4L60e trans,..... going Manual NV4500. Easy swap, got all the research done, and I’ll post “how to/ parts/ issues to avoid” on here.

Don’t get me wrong, that built 4L60e from Finish Line Transmissions is good, just wanna slam some gears behind that HT383e.

Always on the look out for a 2.3 Whipple - already have 0411 swap,.....so if anyone round knows where one of these unicorns is,....I’m game. 383, NV4500, Whipple,...... yeah man,...... you know what I mean.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It can be done but its not bolt in. There are some posts around but are pretty vague. Also, don't think thre is a whipple 2.3 for small blocks.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks bud,....yes sir, Supercharged111 was right,....I think it’s the 1.6L,....I changed my post, but, don’t know how to change the title now. Just looking for a Whipple for our 5.7L’s.

Wondering if we can swap in the 3/4T front axle? Would there be much difference? Again, like I said, I’ve done zero research yet,....figured I’d ask the vast knowledge of this site first,..... and wait for people to say, hey dummy, no can do

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I think this involves using a diff drop kit and modifying one of the mounting legs. I was never clear on which axles to use or if there are spacers. As b454rat said it's pretty vague. I WANT PICTURES. I've been wanting to do this swap for years.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Sir, people do the single axle swap,..... but I really don’t wanna go that route. I’d like to see pics too,....anyone got any 1 ton front axle mounting pics? I’ve got our GM service manual set, I’ll look to see if it has anything we can use. Just don’t wanna go back with stock, if I can upgrade it while I’m in there. Thanks men.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaahhhhaaaa,..... 454cid, you mean the 1/2 and 3/4 T are same? And 1 ton is different? I bet that 69 Buick is sweet. Got any picks?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
8 lug 3/4 is the same as 1 ton. 6 lug 3/4 is the same as 1/2. It’s been a long time, but having the two side by side, the size was a pretty big difference. I thought about it on my Yukon, it already has a 4” lift. It if I’m gonna go thru the BS of swapping the fro t diff, I’m swapping it out entirely for an SAS. I have prolly 95% of the parts to do it. Right now just trying to get it going. Oh, and it has a whipple lol

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaaahaaaa,.... got it. Hmmmm, wonder now difference in the 6 lug 1/2 to 3/4. Probably same, cause I can’t see how anything would be upgraded inside the same housing. Guess i’ll Just rebuild the one I have and take er easy in 4WD, considering the torque I’ll be putting down with an NV4500/ Whipple,....if I can ever find one of those Whipple unicorn thingy’s.

B454rat’s a lucky dog,....... I’m ****-hounding a Whipple for mine,..... thought about doing a procharger, just ain’t heard enough good stuff bout em,..... Whipple, heard plenty, thus reason I’d rather go with a tried and true.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Procharger is fine as far as quality and performance goes, but you won't see boost anywhere south of 3000 RPM whereas the Whipple punches right from an idle. The Whipple has less high RPM capability than the Procharger, so it really depends on your intended use. I tow, so both of my trucks have Whipples.