96/97 Fuel pump replacement tutorial (with bed cut)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a tutorial for replacing the fuel pump in a 1996 and 1997 GMT 400. I'm pulling out a Spectre (that I put in while stranded this week) and putting a new Delphi in (replaced under warranty!)

First, I did the bed hatch cut per this thread by shelbyt.67 : https://www.gmt400.com/threads/fuel-pump-access-panel.11423/

However, to improve on his method, move your most-forward cut in the bed another 1/2" from the front wall, and extend the left side of the hole to the next "hump" in the bed corrugation to give you room for removing the ground wire and for getting your flare wrenches on the fittings. This will save you time and frustration.

You must be registered for see images attach

First, pull the fuel pump relay and relieve fuel pressure from the engine-side. This depressurizes the rail ONLY. You will still have pressure from the regulator to the pump!!!!

Pic of tools needed:

Air gun, 3/4" and 5/8" line wrenches, flathead screwdriver, 13mm sockets, needle nose, brass punches/rods/tube, hammer, petroleum based grease, dielectric grease. You may want some penetrate oil for the fittings and time if your pump has never been removed. Possibly a pick as well.

I went ahead and disconnected everything electrically. The bolt is a 13mm hex and the plug just unplugs.

First I loosened the small clamp on the small tube, then the large hose just needs to be loosened from the pump side. Mine is pliable enough that I could just pull it off and push it aside.

Next, the lines. They are both 3/4" hex on the engine side and 5/8" on the pump side. Get those loosened and out the way. THE BIG LINE WILL HAVE PRESSURE BEHIND IT! Once it is loose SLOWLY remove it or else you'll take a shower of gas to the face... wear safety goggles or a face shield (uvex makes a nice one, with oxy-fuel shades you can install as well). Check to be sure the O-rings come out of the lines.

Once those are done loosen the retainer ring on the pump housing. Use compressed air to get dirt away from the hole.

To pull the pump in one move turn it so it will come out like this:

Clean the spot where the o-ring will sit, slide the new o-ring into position on the new pump and just moisten it with petroleum jelly.

Put the new pump in the same way.

Put the new retainer ring on, then wet the top and bottom so that it will be easy to install. Tighten the pump into place.

Next, use your petroleum jelly to wet the o-rings and fitting nuts, as well as the threads and tubing the nut slides over and pushes against. This will give you a nice tight seal and keep the plating on the tubes from galling. (Also helps with future replacements). My pump came with o-rings on it and extras in a bag. Keep them. I think the fit at the fuel rail as well.

Before you put the lines on look down inside for bits of the old O-rings... You don't want that in your filter. Pick the bits out carefully if you must. I used a screwdriver. When you tighten the lines ONLY TURN THE NUT! Do not turn the engine side of the line as this will twist the O-ring around and may damage it!

Install the remaining two lines and clamp them down.

I used two star washers with my ground, you do what you want. I put them on in this order top to bottom: Bolt, star washer, ground, star washer, bracket for plug. This should give you a ground that'll last a long time. Use a good amount of dielectric grease on this connection to keep it from rusting.

Plug it up and power it up a few times by turning the key on/off to prime the system and you're good to go! Just don't forget to check for leaks!

Hopefully this helps out someone in the future. I'm not responsible for any errors or accidents you make of your own doing of you follow this. You do it at your own risk!

Last edited:

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
After having the tank out of my truck twice and dealing with rusty straps and broken cage nuts both times I did the hole cut method as well. I don't regret it. Anyone have good ideas for a cover plate to patch up the hole?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After having the tank out of my truck twice and dealing with rusty straps and broken cage nuts both times I did the hole cut method as well. I don't regret it. Anyone have good ideas for a cover plate to patch up the hole?

I was thinking of using my original plate I cut out, then using some aluminum stock rivet a flange around its edge. Hinge that over the hole, then also put some "nutserts" into the bed pan so I could bolt it down. Doesn't need to be water tight, it just needs to keep dirt in my bed and keep a low profile yet secure.

TerryKing

Reaction score
QUOTE "just moisten it with petroleum jelly."

Think I recall reading that petroleum-based stuff not good for some kids of rubber and gaskets??

Would typical Silicone Grease be better?? As good?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
QUOTE "just moisten it with petroleum jelly."

Think I recall reading that petroleum-based stuff not good for some kids of rubber and gaskets??

Would typical Silicone Grease be better?? As good?

Well, it's a fuel system, so I'd hope any seal used would be Buna and good to go for oils/fuels. I've always used Vaseline on fuel system O-rings. Seldom will I use something lithium based as it'll cake up and harden usually. But if it's something that'll sit still (like this instance) and I can't find my Vaseline, then I'll use chassis grease and be done with it.

If I'm slipping a hose on a nipple or something like that, I'll use superlube.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just installed the walbro kit I bought (5CA400HP) direct from Walbro [because, China...]

You'll need two new fuel pump assembly o-rings. The smaller line is a 6mm ID and 10mm OD. The larger 8mm ID and 12mm OD (both have a 2mm cross section). FYI the pump assembly O-ring is a 6mm cross section with 78mm ID and 90mm OD. Any local or online hydraulic or fuel line supply place should be able to source these.

First, some data with a new gauge:
At 12.2v in the fuse box (under the fuel pump relay) there was a draw of 3.5amp using my Fluke 112 meter. This gave me a pressure of 56psi at the test port.

Changing the pump:
Refer to the above tutorial on how to remove the pump assembly.

This is everything the kit comes with (pump, hose, clamps, assembly O-ring, sock, new rubber pump "cushion", and a harness adapter).

First, remove the sock from the old pump so that gas is draining out while you're messing around. Discard it.

Using end-cutting pliers, remove the crimped on hose clamps.

Remove electrical connector and pump from assembly.

My original unit was a Delphi replacement, the sound isolator fit directly over the new walbro easily.

Put the new pump in the hanger. I used the old rubber "pump cushion" on the bottom since it'd hook into the hanger, then installed the new filter sock. I think this is just personal preference.

Then cut exactly 2" from the new fuel line given. Install it to connect the fuel pump to the plumbing. Install and tighten clamps.

Install your adapter harness. I twisted mine around the plumbing so it'd stay close by and not get kniked while the assembly is dropped in.

Recheck your hose clamps, and recheck your hardness plugs. Everything good? Do it again.

Now replace the sealing O-ring for the assembly. Install all your hoses back like above.

Now after installing the new pump, at a battery voltage of 12.2v I have a current draw of 9.88amps! But with a pressure of 58 psi

(Some parallax error is to be expected...)

After starting the truck the pump put out a steady 49/50psi (better than the 46/48 I was getting) and revving peaked at 58... the other peaked at 54.

I'm going to run this with the current tune on my truck and see what the difference in Fuel trims are. Hopefully an improvement honestly. The low numbers are likely due to ANOTHER fuel pressure regulator failure as the fuel pressure drops to 40psi in just 15-30min. I really need to change mine now I guess.

MODS: Please allow me to edit the title of this thread.

Tags for the googly thing: 96 1996 97 1997 Chevy Chevrolet Walbro GMT400 K1500 K2500 K3500 350 454 7.4 5.7 swap fuel pump

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The pump I just did on my flipper dually didn't have a line connecting it, it had what appeared to be a dampener that was just slipped on there. Damn sure wasn't leaking though because the truck has sat since last October or so without a start and the line still had pressure on it when I dropped the tank yesterday.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Saving this, I was looking at a Walbro 255 the other day for when I cam it, and get some bigger injectors.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Saving this, I was looking at a Walbro 255 the other day for when I cam it, and get some bigger injectors.

Highly unlikely you'll need a bigger pump for that. My 1500 has a stock GM pump in it and didn't run out in MI.