94 2wd, to SAS 4x4:) ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
the frames are totally different, and there is no "crossmember" in a 4wd to swap in. if you look under your truck, the big thick crossmember under the engine... the bottom needs cut out of it and the edges rolled in. took me maybe an hour to cut mine down, still haven't rolled the edges yet... too bad you're not working with a SCLB, i'd just sell you the whole frame, already cut, and mostly painted.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah also we just had to remove my tranny xmember to do my realift raising the tbars back up and the guy (this was @ a custom shop) made me another custom tranny xmember in like 30 mins...For little details like that you might want to call a custom place like that unless you got mad skillz with the metal but don't let it overwhelm you. Analyze it all best you can. Also just generally speaking, it's always wise to set aside a budget for any project.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
a factory crossmember will work just fine, as the OP doesn't have to worry about a torsion bar crossmember since he doesn't have one, and doesn't need one.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah I wasn't saying he would for sure need one but just offering up the idea to maybe go ahead and plan for what will need to be custom made so he can know what it will cost him ahead of time. It's can be overwhelming looking at it all and I was just giving the example of my crossmember cuz the guy did it in 30 minutes like it was nothin.

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohh damn. well thats making me rethink the swap. because im kinda good with metal, but not that good. lol. and i live in a tiny little town and theres 1 metal shop and its not the greatest. i was just thinking it was as easy as it would be for a 73-87. but damn.. hmm..

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's how these things go. Whatever you budget it at also plan on it doubling on you haha that's the way I've always done it and it works out. Don't let it overwhelm you tho.

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah. lol. well i eventually ill do the swap. once i get my metal working skills honed up a bit. lol. ill just keep it 2wd, and ill keep the 86 4x4 my escape truck for when shtf. haha but thanks for all the info, now i know what i need to learn more about before i get in over my head and have 2 trucks that are half there. lol. thanks again guys.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
yea just check out offroadunlimited.com or offroaddirect.com. both have SAS kits for the 2wd trucks. it will look really nice and i love mine. way better than breaking cv joints all the time

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
ohh damn. well thats making me rethink the swap. because im kinda good with metal, but not that good. lol. and i live in a tiny little town and theres 1 metal shop and its not the greatest. i was just thinking it was as easy as it would be for a 73-87. but damn.. hmm..

dont let someone who hasn't dealt with the specific truck in question intimidate you. you will be able to bolt in a stock crossmember, and it will work fine. its a totally different ballgame than a 4x4.

there is no "metal work" to be done, other than cutting out the bottom of the crossmember. its all a bolt on affair, nothing to be afraid of at all.

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm. well i might end up trying it this spring then. once i get my other truck driving, i can start the swap. thank you guys.