93 K2500 Suburban 454 Holley Sniper Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. It shouldn't be that far in. Mine came like that, but if I remember right, I read the instructions and backed it off to contact and then 1/2 turn in before starting.

I didn't even read the instructions, but that is exactly where I put it as luck would have it, half turn to start opening.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed the Holley throttle extension part# 20-16. Well it doesn't clear the FAST efi bracket, so I had to hit it with the death wheel and take off about 1/8 inch by 2.5 inches to clearance it. I used a sharpie to mark the locations of the throttle arm0-100% open to see where to cut. Now the throttle is way softer and longer travel. It also means have to move the bracket to mount the GM throttle cable forward as 0% throttle is further forward more. I also read where it should use a return spring, so off to dig through the stash to find one...

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like the throttle extension. I put the return spring on. It's 100% nicer to drive now around town. It is probably a mandatory option for a daily driver to do this. I mean, why would they make it if it wasn't an issue...

I've read where the progressive link requires more tuning setup from a laptop software than just slapping it on.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got around to the laptop tune on this latest learn. Had to order the Holley can Y splitter and a extension so I could leave the touchscreen plugged in. Everything seemed ok, it was throwing a lot of fuel in still down low cruising in the base fueling. The timing table was about how I expected it, terrible. No transition from idle cruise and WOT settings, easy enough to select a bunch of squares, type in a number, then highlight a large area click the smooth button. Starts right up first turn of the key in 10 degree weather.

Open element air inlet temp in is about 30-40 deg hotter cruising than ambient, I'm thinking a cold air intake might be worth it.

8flat

Reaction score
GREAT thread, this has helped me a lot OP, thanks for posting. Just gathering parts list to put a sniper on my '94 K2500 454. A couple questions:
- I read that using an intake with no gap in that center divider that is right below the TB base is bad for your MAP readings. The edelbrock air gap 2-0 intake has a small cutout in that sport that's supposed to be better. Obviously it doesn't seem to be an issue with your setup? I like the Weiand, and it's cheaper too.
- EFIsystempro.com sells a nice walbro pump upgrade that bolts right up to our sump and fits in our tanks, food for thought
- Same guys as above want me to go with progressive linkage instead of throttle extension, says it works better, even though the tuning is extra time but they'll help. I'm torn....

8flat

Reaction score
Sorry one more question: I was going to use my factory dizzy since it's cheaper, just need to buy the cable. Is there a reason you didn't go that route? Holley is probably better, I suppose....
Thanks!

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can hook the factory dist to it, I was planning on removing the stock computer and harness. I just wanted plug n play and to control timing from the holley as it was intended, not piggy back. I'm over piggy back systems on my stuff if I can help it. Setting timing on the hyperspark is way easy. Drop it in at 0, put alignment cap on, mark #1, slap cap and wires on - should be right on the money, trust but verify.

I heard the same thing about the manifold - that is why I run a 1 inch open spacer, but it means I had to run a short 2 inch air filter to clear the hood pad. I never ran it without the spacer.

I did the fuel pump when I bought the truck, just wanted the vortec upgrade, so far it has been ok, I bet I'm on the edge of hp for the 96+ vortec pump.

I like the throttle extension, but have to grind/clearance the fast ez efi bracket, easy, just takes a few minutes and rattle can it black.

Make sure to buy that tap to clean up the water jacket threads on the weiand...

There was more to the build, I might make a new concise thread, ie, you cannot buy the oil cooler line fitting plastic diverter basket, you have to buy the 96 up fitting and then move the plastic over to the TBI version of the fitting. That was fun.

8flat

Reaction score
****, maybe I shouldn't try to keep the GM dizzy if it means i need to keep the stock computer? I was just trying to avoid spending the extra $$ on the hyperspark......might be a dumb way to save?

Makes sense on all other things. That last sentence has me scratching my head though, where is that piece?