93 K1500 leveling question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Carver

Reaction score
I want to put a leveling kit on my 1993 Chevy K1500 and was told by a Les Schwab tire store here in Wa. that they don't sell the torsion bar keys for that year/model because they can't guarantee that it will lift only the needed 1.5" as the company who they get the keys from is having quality issues. Has anyone put a leveling kit on their pre-1996 K1500 and how did it turn out, also who brand did you use?

Thanks!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was told that would put added stress and wear on the ball joints.

So will any type of "lift keys."

Leveling kits are a waste of money on these trucks. You can crank to the droop stops with the factory keys, and aftermarket ones won't gain you anything. Just crank the stock keys up 2" or less. Any more than that, you'll need a real lift kit.

Natew73

Reaction score
Interesting info. I popped into this thread because
I'm wanting to lift the front of my 97 because I get a little tire rub when turning bc I'm running 285/75/16s. What is the best way without adding stress to suspension parts? I don't want to shorten the life of the front end parts. What kit? Much appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting info. I popped into this thread because
I'm wanting to lift the front of my 97 because I get a little tire rub when turning bc I'm running 285/75/16s. What is the best way without adding stress to suspension parts? I don't want to shorten the life of the front end parts. What kit? Much appreciated.

I'm honestly surprised you're rubbing with 285/75/16s, I ran them on my Suburban for a few years and never had any issues at factory height. You must not be running factory wheels.

Anyway as mentioned previously, don't buy a kit for this. Just crank your stock torsion bar keys up a little bit. An inch or so should get you where you need to be. It will add a bit of stress to your front end parts and ride harsher, but so will anything involving cranking the keys. There's no way around it unless you buy a real 4"-6" lift kit and it sounds like that would be overkill for what you're trying to do. Cranking the keys isn't ideal, but as long as you keep it minimal you shouldn't have any major issues.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1.5 inch crank on my 92 RCSB in my avatar. 285's on 16x 10? I believe. It will still scrub at full lock at times but any more crank and it really rode like crap.