92 K2500 Revival

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fresh lugs and perfectly clean threads is probably the correct move.
One of these things is on my list of tools I want but don’t necessarily need.

OEMTOOLS 24686 Brake Hub Resurfacing Kit, Brake Hub Cleaning Kit for Rust, Wheel Stud Cleaning Kit, Clean Lug Nuts on the Wheel Hub, Includes 4 Pads https://a.co/d/8ymwZyY

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be overkill in WA. But hub/rotor faces and wheel innards will be getting it back in upper MI, the land where plastic rusts.

Supercharged111,

We're on the same page. Never had a problem with anti-seize on the lug nuts, no
doubt due to the fact that I always do safety-critical stuff by hand, both dissy &
reassembly. (Much like @KansasOBS mentioned in reply #220.)

During dissy I'm looking for any stud/lug nut assemblies that have 'relaxed', unlike the others?
(Possibly that stud had been stretched by impact guns set to stun during previous maintenance
somewhere between the assembly line and when I eventually bought it?)

And I always use a torque wrench during assembly, and again looking for all 8 lug nuts
to feel similar and achieve the same torque with the same amount of turning. When driving
old & looking for trouble, oftentimes you will find it when you first purchase it -- it's not
surprising to find 1 or more stretched/weak studs out of the (16 to 32 total) stud/lug nut
assemblies on any given vehicle.

I find that by paying close attention to the fasteners like this allows the vehicle to
better communicate 'I've been wounded here' messages to yours truly. :0)

And as shown in the attached photo, based upon the sheer difficulty of getting the steel
wheels off of the chore truck when I first got it, the hub/wheel mating surfaces got a
generous anti-seizing. (Prior to doing this, if I was on the side of the road I don't know if
I would have gotten the rear tires off with just the emergency hand tools - they were rusted
stoopid tight, and required both considerable persuasion and patience -- nearly ran out of the
latter. :0)

No problems since, despite being a fellow rust-belter.

Just my 2¢ worth from a risk-averse older vehicle enthusiast.

Cheers --

Attachments

• tire&wheel perspective of renewed brake assy (sml).jpg
    tire&wheel perspective of renewed brake assy (sml).jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys antiseize the threads?
Absolutely not.

We're on the same page. Never had a problem with anti-seize on the lug nuts, no
doubt due to the fact that I always do safety-critical stuff by hand, both dissy &
reassembly. (Much like @KansasOBS mentioned in reply #220.)
As a former AGE tech, we NEVER anti-seized lug threads. If they're rusty, wire brush them. Make sure the nuts thread all the way on and off by hand. You're done.