92 K2500 Revival

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was originally going to nail the back board to the bed sides, but there I was at the hardware store for the eleventy billionth time this month and I saw those bolt action door lockers. Well, they had me at bolt action so I picked a pair up and aligned them perfectly level to the sides:
You must be registered for see images attach

These are all the bungee cords I have. Swear I had more, but it is what it is:

Good enough for now. I took the truck out to fill the tank and do some high speed maneuvers. Very uneventful, cruises at 60mph at 1500rpm lockup engaged in OD, smooth and straight all the way to 75mph which is as fast as this rig is ever gonna go.

Heat has mostly checked out again. I dunno, maybe it's being dominated by air leaks. My controller says I'm cruising at around 170F, and I put a 180 thermostat in it.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those bungee cords look like overkill to secure a load of firewood.
Well you know, the thing about overkill is you can never have too much overkill. So I added a ratchet strap for the final deal:

Tarp flailed hard doing 70 so I did about 65 the whole way. Truck did fantastic, the torque is everywhere all the time. Got about 12mpg fully loaded turning around 2000rpm at 60mph in D with the 3.42s. I think 3.73s would put me in the sweet spot for towing but it did this job fine. Majestic victory photo:

Unloading at the destination:

Didn't find any leaks:

Still got no heat though so I told the wife I had to make all these posts to warm my hands up. Made it there and back, 175 miles round trip. She's really doing it.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That thing is filled to the brim and barely squatting. You hiding a jack under the bumper or something for the pics?
I'm thinking my seasoned firewood might have been lighter than 2.5k lbs. Felt heavy when I stepped on the brakes though. Who knows, they could be different springs, but it doesn't ride like a one ton truck so I'm assuming they're factory. Made it home a second time with another load:

Developed a high pitched squeal coming from the rear, once per tire rotation. It's quiet, for now. That's likely the rear end I never looked at even once. But, what's going to stop me from running a third load in it is a major fuel leak at the regulator inlet side of the fuel rail return hose. Man, I suck at PTFE hoses. That's probably the highest pressure point, looks like it's blowing out the back of the fitting. Might build a new hose out of the rubber PTFE and commit to replacing it every five years or something.

Could be that I used the cheapest possible hose and fittings as well. Or maybe it was too tight and the motor rocking around messed it up.

We are 95% moved out, that was the last of the firewood. I got that stupid Cummins transmission that's going to have to ride in my Jeep now, and I guess I'm strapping the bed to my roof. Way she goes.