90 Grey button no Max button Climate Control bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Score another one for the durability of these 88-94 A/C controls. Like I said early on, it's most likely not the controls, but that connector burnt up behind the dash. It's really becoming the most likely source of seeing those controls go dark. I'm glad others were able to point you to it more specifically than I could - it's been years since I've had to fix that issue. Thanks for posting back that you resolved it, and for the pics!

Richard

azmikep

Reaction score
Score another one for the durability of these 88-94 A/C controls. Like I said early on, it's most likely not the controls, but that connector burnt up behind the dash. It's really becoming the most likely source of seeing those controls go dark. I'm glad others were able to point you to it more specifically than I could - it's been years since I've had to fix that issue. Thanks for posting back that you resolved it, and for the pics!

Richard
Yessir. Made my day! Thanks again!

dudeinthepnw

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue and getting frustrated - I pulled out the stock radio as I'm replacing it (still waiting on the replacement to arrive). My AC/Heat worked fine before pulling the radio head unit out..Thinking maybe I pulled a a connector out of the hvac controls or something when I pulled the radio out, I've been searching that area until I came across this thread and noticing the hvac harness seemed to go towards the passenger side. I'm kind of like OP, electrical stuff isn't my strong suit. I can pull a motor apart and put it back together etc, but I've never been good with wiring. I looked at the schematic above and pulled out the glove box tray to access it, nothing in particular looks out of place/burned up etc.

Any other schematics to look at? I don't even have a test light or anything anymore (tweakers stole a lot of my tools when they stole my old Jeep). I'm about to just take it to a shop and let them diagnose it, but the correlation of having the issue after I pulled the radio out is what's bother me, I know I'm overlooking something.

azmikep

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue and getting frustrated - I pulled out the stock radio as I'm replacing it (still waiting on the replacement to arrive). My AC/Heat worked fine before pulling the radio head unit out..Thinking maybe I pulled a a connector out of the hvac controls or something when I pulled the radio out, I've been searching that area until I came across this thread and noticing the hvac harness seemed to go towards the passenger side. I'm kind of like OP, electrical stuff isn't my strong suit. I can pull a motor apart and put it back together etc, but I've never been good with wiring. I looked at the schematic above and pulled out the glove box tray to access it, nothing in particular looks out of place/burned up etc.

Any other schematics to look at? I don't even have a test light or anything anymore (tweakers stole a lot of my tools when they stole my old Jeep). I'm about to just take it to a shop and let them diagnose it, but the correlation of having the issue after I pulled the radio out is what's bother me, I know I'm overlooking something.
Not sure if one has to do with the other but the red wire in left of the pic with the black connector is what must supply the radio with power. I only know this because I disconnected it to see what it powered. Judging by its gauge compared to the others, it is a main power source. Sucks about. The specific wire that burned up was red and about 18 guage 1/8” or so in the rectangle shaped harness on the side of the plug closer to the passenger side.
Also the connection onto the ac control module was pretty stout. I had to really pull hard to get it disconnected.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

• BF76224A-590F-4247-BD3C-B7C76A33E312.jpeg
    BF76224A-590F-4247-BD3C-B7C76A33E312.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8