89 to 94 guage swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a fan of the moonies myself. I also find myself backing off the gas a bit when I can watch how high my RPMs are instead of just listening.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes and no, it will drop in but the cluster has the calibration for gear and tire size so if the donor cluster came from a truck with a different ratio or tire size then it will need recalibrating.

92+ used a drac unit to calibrate the speedo, 88-91 had a chip in the cluster

So where in the cluster is the chip and would it be easier to just swap over the guages and trip meter over? My trip reset broke one day, gotta love sub zero temps and plastic, and all my guages are faded.

Last edited:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
So where in the cluster is the chip and would it be easier to just swap over the guages and trip meter over? My trip reset broke one day, gotta love sub zero temps and plastic, and all my guages are faded.

For your trip, it would just be simple to change the part... you would have to calibrate anything. As far as your "chip" not to sure what your asking there... but i looked and didnt notice, are you running moonies? or do you have the needles? because the moonie, you could try to replace the little motor that make you gauge turn... it could just be burnt out. Or if you have needles, im pretty sure they run the same. Another thing you could look for is a broken wire or solder inside the cluster... if you fallow all the wires amd such. Just a matter of opening it up, and having a look. Might be an easy fix.

If you deside to change stuff over, look at my previous post, click on the DRAC calibration link, that will show you how to calibrate your cluster... takes soldering skills though.....

if you got any questions, or need pictures of the inside of the clusters, i got moonies and needle ones here, i can snap some for you. Ive been learning quite abit on this subject since ive been working on changing mine from 90's moonies to 94's needle with tach

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was refering to Outalne94z71 saying the 88-91 had chips for the speedo calibration. When the trip broke I heard plastic break when I pushed the reset. I wanted to replace the cluster because my gauges are faded and my extra cluster is in perfect shape other than I have it apart to swap the odometer reel so my mileage would be correct.

Txwildman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I did the moonie to needle gauge swap this weekend. Here are some before and after pics (below wife took them sorry) it took all about 1hr and 1/2 to do. But keep in mind I brought a 90 needle gauge and had the dip switch soldered in by a friend of mine although he did not take pics of the dip switch install there is a thread that already shows it. That thread helped alot!!! eric.s.t posted all the links that helped in this swap!!

Night time pic of moonies with LED's
You must be registered for see images attach

removed moonie gauge

Now getting to the wire harness behind the gauges

Remove black part only on wire harness (it slides off gray piece)

You only have to switch 3 wires and add a Tach wire (wire A10, A11, B15)

The wire for the tach is on the coil already you just have to connect it to the plug and the back of the black plug on the dash slot (B15)

And all snaps back in reverse Daytime pic of the needle gauge

Night pic of needle gauge will be adding LED's to it later

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I added the later cluster to my 89 when I had it. Started out with "moonies":

A little bit of rewiring and sussing out wiring diagrams:

And then:

Hands down one of the best changes I made to the old hack.

Here's all the bits you need from your donor vehicle:

Gauges cluster, DRAC and the cluster plug. It doesn't even matter what truck you get the DRAC from, you reprogram it by moving jumpers inside to calibrate it to your specific vehicle combination. Or, if you put the DIP switches in it, you can calibrate it "on the fly".

Actually, I still have the cluster plug and modified drac out in the garage. I pulled it out when I junked the truck. I should probably sell it off as I'll never use it again......

And some random info still lurking in my folders:

I avoided the 91 cluster. IIRC, it requires a shorting plug to burn certain circuit traces to calibrate the cluster. I went for the next model up that uses a DRAC so I could simply reprogram the tire size with a flick or a DIP switch in the DRAC....

Last edited:

Ruckusmax

Reaction score
Bump. Anybody got any info on the 92+ cluster? been searching but keep finding old dead links