89 GMC Volume up not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rtlane

Reaction score
I have a 1989 GMC Sierra 1500. See my radio below. I have owned this truck for about 3 months and the volume + and tune + buttons were finnicky and had to press hard to get them to work. Everything else on my radio works perfect besides some kind of ground humming. Yesterday my volume + quit working. What would cause this?

I’ve been trying to keep everything stock because i like the original look and im getting ready to upgrade my speakers. Now im afraid if this isnt an easy fix, then i might just have to go aftermarket radio.
You must be registered for see images attach

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
It's probably an issue with the brain box, which lives just above and to the right of the gas pedal. Pins and stuff corrode on them and then they either quit working entirely or functions go haywire. Best bet is to try a treasure yard or ask around here, a member probably has one to sell. You need one specific to the 5 band equalizer. Other units would work, but only two of the equalizer bands will light up.