Radio volume

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My radio makes a humming noise and gets louder the more throttle i give, then my volume won’t go higher then 3 it hits 3 and restarts, but if i have a cassette in the humming goes away and volume is fine, stick radio. Thanks

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a bad ground. The electronics are feeding through the radio. If you switch to an AM station it will be more noticeable. It does not happen with the cassette because there is no input from the vehicle. The volume problem is another issue. Try a cheap fix of using contact cleaner on the volume control and see if that corrects it.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a bad ground. The electronics are feeding through the radio. If you switch to an AM station it will be more noticeable. It does not happen with the cassette because there is no input from the vehicle. The volume problem is another issue. Try a cheap fix of using contact cleaner on the volume control and see if that corrects it.
Do you know where the bad ground might be? and where would i exactly use the contact cleaner in the volume control.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
I have a stock radio and cassette player, also having some volume issues (have owned the truck 3 years, was that way since I bought it). The volume is fine using the cassette player, and AM radio. Using FM radio, however, the sound is weak - I have to turn the volume all the way up - with not much bass. I suspected a bad CDM (or bad capacitors in the CDM), and tried swapping a salvage yard unit CDM in, but no difference. Any ideas?

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know where the bad ground might be? and where would i exactly use the contact cleaner in the volume control.
Remove the knob and spray down the neck of the stem. It will not hurt the radio. Move the knob when you get it wet.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the knob and spray down the neck of the stem. It will not hurt the radio. Move the knob when you get it wet.
it has a volume button it’s a 89, i can try and spray behind the button tho