Cruise control not working 1989 Gmc k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be this one?

APDTY 50397 Multi-Function Turn Signal Lever Switch with Cruise Control, Washer Control, and Windshield Wiper Control, Black Stalk (Replaces 1997988, 25111262, 25111290, 25111260, 25111270) https://a.co/d/dYqq6s6
Yes, that's the one But like someotherguy suggested, check the wiring at the plug end, it's on the right side of the steering column about half way down.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one But like someotherguy suggested, check the wiring at the plug end, it's on the right side of the steering column about half way down.
i checked, i have , on my left , at the base of the turn signal lever, 2 cables (black) and they seem to be firmly attached to the column and the lever. I cant see anything else :( as i see in the pic of Someotherguy

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i checked, i have , on my left , at the base of the turn signal lever, 2 cables (black) and they seem to be firmly attached to the column and the lever. I cant see anything else :( as i see in the pic of Someotherguy
You must be registered for see images attach
I only have one cable coming out of the switch. Both times that mine broke the wire was damaged inside of the insulation so they showed no sign of damage. It was only through testing with a multi-meter that I knew that was the problem. When they first start to break they will work some times and then suddenly turn themself off, or they will work sometimes and not others, eventually not working at all. They are quite tricky to replace because the new wire with the plug on the end has to fit down through the steering column housing. Do not take the column apart, I found a YouTube video showing how to cut the old plug off and attach a length of wire to the end so that it is pulled up through the gap in the column when you pull the old one out. You then tie that wire to the new plug and use it to pull the new plug back down through the gap in the column housing to plug back in. Be very patient as the plug gets snagged on everything on the way down, you just have to work it back and forward until it finds its way. The lever itself just pulls out and pushes back into the indicator switch again. Here is a picture of where it plugs in under the dash. I hope this helps you.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connector has a small hole drilled in it. I use that hole to tie a wire/string to, so that it pulls the wire up through the column as the old unit is removed.

Then you tie the wire to the new connector using that same hole on the new one. Pull your wire/string back down the column.

Almost like it was designed for that purpose :)

Harness unclipped from steering column.

Cruise connector separated, wire attached.

Connector and wire wrapped with tape to secure the wire, and to prevent the wire from snagging on it's way back "down the column".

Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a little scared to wrap down the leverage
No screw, no block, nothing? Simply pull
It just clicks into place, so a little resistance to start with then it comes free. When pushing it back in just make sure the little key lines up with the slot and push it all the way until it clicks.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just clicks into place, so a little resistance to start with then it comes free. When pushing it back in just make sure the little key lines up with the slot and push it all the way until it clicks.
Pray for me and my lever