Cruise control not working 1989 Gmc k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand it is a basic question but I read some threads and didn't find a quick guide of what to check.
It doesn't work, and it seems brake it's on, tbi is still there, no led light.
My truck s only item is the abs is not plugged (they had a new unit but it seemed to not work as it was expected to)

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say Brake light switch if you have one... but it's confusing what you're saying about the abs stuff

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the switch on the indicator stalk will stop working, I have replaces mine twice now as that was the cause. Otherwise check the brake pedal switch is not staying on as that deletes the cruise control setting when you want to stop.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes the switch on the indicator stalk will stop working, I have replaces mine twice now as that was the cause. Otherwise check the brake pedal switch is not staying on as that deletes the cruise control setting when you want to stop.
Are you talking if this one?

Attachments

• 300212-ef1266c51e530fcd7281b87261431ed9.jpg
    300212-ef1266c51e530fcd7281b87261431ed9.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 9

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Broken wires at the handle are ultra-common.

Seems to me that the handle-plus-wires has multiple part numbers depending on various other options, such as delay wipers. If you're replacing it, be sure to get the correct one.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

www.gmt400.com/threads/cruise-control-multifunction-turn-signal-stalk-lever.42220/

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking if this one?
Yes, that is the culprit. I bought one just recently on Ebay: 1988-1994 CHEVROLET GMC C1500 K1500 CRUISE SWITCH HANDLE LEVER STALK NEW TSL108 from a seller named: prosteeringcolumns. It cost $37.89 USD which was way cheaper than anywhere else by quite a lot.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that is the culprit. I bought one just recently on Ebay: 1988-1994 CHEVROLET GMC C1500 K1500 CRUISE SWITCH HANDLE LEVER STALK NEW TSL108 from a seller named: prosteeringcolumns. It cost $37.89 USD which was way cheaper than anywhere else by quite a lot.

Could be this one?

APDTY 50397 Multi-Function Turn Signal Lever Switch with Cruise Control, Washer Control, and Windshield Wiper Control, Black Stalk (Replaces 1997988, 25111262, 25111290, 25111260, 25111270) https://a.co/d/dYqq6s6

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can test the cruise lever before replacing. There's a small edge style connector clipped under the dash with only 4 contacts on it. 1 is ground and it may take some experimenting to figure out which is which as the wire colors are hidden in a black outer insulation jacket. Unplug it and get your multimeter set on continuity. When you figure out which one is ground, you can test on the other contacts and actuate the switches to see if any of them aren't working.

The most common failure are the wires at the bend as Schurkey has pictured. Also, I have revived a few of them by spraying contact cleaner into the switch area and repeatedly working the switches until they began functioning again. My favorite cleaner for this is DeOxit.

The brake switch is suspect as well. You can test the brake switch easily with the multimeter as well. It's simply 3 sets of contacts. It's also easy to pop the cover off it and see if any of the leafs inside look broken or weak. The brake switch is cheap to replace.

The brake switch can also be out of adjustment on the 1988-1993 trucks (1994-up are not adjustable.) Procedure quoted from Chevytalk member Chevytech:

Brake Switch adjustment
Here is how the switch is adjusted on 1988-1993 C/K trucks:
On the curved side of the switch, which is pointing down and somewhat towards the front of the vehicle when installed, the end of a lever protrudes slightly out of a slot.
While holding the brake pedal down a little ways, slide the lever that protrudes from the slot toward the driver’s seat.
Let go of the lever, then return the brake pedal to its fully released position, and the switch should self adjust. Make sure the pedal returns all the way and is not held partially applied by the switch not adjusting.

Finally to your other questions - the ABS module being disconnected has no affect on the cruise control. And, there is no LED or light bulb indicator on the GMT400 trucks for the cruise being on or engaged.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And just because it's an infinitely useful resource we have available to us - the factory service manuals (linked in the engine section) have a detailed troubleshooting guide for the cruise control. Highly recommended before you spend any money on parts.

Richard