88 no power, complete power failure, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjten10

Reaction score
Thank you for the pics! Without looking at the truck yet I know there are grounding issues now. I have a battery to engine block, thick gauge , but it runs to a point just under the air filter beside the tbi and one braided strap but that's it.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the pics! Without looking at the truck yet I know there are grounding issues now. I have a battery to engine block, thick gauge , but it runs to a point just under the air filter beside the tbi and one braided strap but that's it.
It's probably grounded to a intake manifold bolt. Not stock, but probably ok. That main ground wire I showed on mine originally ran to the front accessory bracket between the AC compressor and the AIR pump. I replaced the steel brackets with the aluminum brackets, so I moved the grounding location. Can you post some pics of yours? It'd be easier to help you if we could see what you have going on under your hood.

sjten10

Reaction score
Ok so where does this purple wire go? It comes from my starter into the wiring harness and then to the back of the motor. Figure the ignition but want to verify the other end.

I bought a new battery, have power down to the starter but nothing anywhere else.

I'll post pics of the cables I can find so far...what a mess!

You must be registered for see images attach

sjten10

Reaction score
Here are some pics pointing to grounds I found

sjten10

Reaction score
First pic is a ground going from battery to accessory block, second is a ground strap and third is a ground from battery to a bolt on the intake manifold. I also found another ground strap near the front of the engine that connects to the frame.

sjten10

Reaction score
I have no power in the purple wire running from starter whether key is off, on, or in the run/start position.

sjten10

Reaction score
Damn I'm stumped. With the key on what would be the next spot to check in the line for power. Just trying to figure out where it's stopped so I can replace the necessary wires. I'm going to do the Big 3 kit but not sure that will solve my issue. Are there fuses somewhere that if dead would cause zero power to travel?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your 1st picture that red/black wire s/b positive, not a ground. That's your power distribution block there, it should be hot at all times. The purple wire is probably for your knock sensor and controller which is mounted to the passenger side of the throttle body.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the power distribution diagram:
The black/red at the junction block should run to battery positive. Are you sure it's running to battery negative?