Need help, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joemama218

Reaction score
Hey yall, first post here, I have a 1998 c3500 with the 5.7. Been one thing after another with this pos project. Firstly I had to replace the transmission, not that big a deal. Went to test it out, starter died. Replaced starter. Key on to start, nothing. Pulled starter relay, jumped pins and fired right up. Tried to put it in reverse, stalls engine out. Discovered I had mistakenly hooked up the purple timing wire to rear of engine, removed wire, tried starting the same way via jumping pins, no start. Fried the jumper wire I was using. What the heck is going on here? Lots of little issues with this truck. Replaced the starter relay and still nothing. Power to the interior, the lights, everything else. Ignition control module maybe? Truck is sitting in the back of my pasture, should I call a mobile or continue to diagnose myself?

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Purple timing wire? There is a large(r) purple wire which goes to the starter solenoid...

joemama218

Reaction score
Honestly I have no clue what its really called/meant for. Tweaker friend I called said on the loom behind the engine there is a purple wire that you leave disconnected from the studs on the back of the heads, and you only hook it up when you are setting the timing of the engine as it prevents the transmission from shifting out of park. I have not found any other information on what the wires actually purpose is, so I'm going off of what he's saying. Further I have looked at several running and driving trucks and the same wire im seeing is disconnected and taped to the firewall.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Should probably look in the engine section for the post with all the service manuals (free to download) and get the manual for your year model, and check the wiring diagrams. Your friend is way, way off in what he was telling you. There's no wire of any color that you disconnect to set the timing on a 1998 model. That's 1995 and older and it's tan with a black stripe, and it has nothing to do with keeping the transmission from shifting out of park. Quit listening to that dude..

Richard