88 GMC Trail/DD Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The frame is thin but overall she's clean. The truck was used by a Driveway sealing company, meaning she's never seen snow. Garage kept all winter, worked hard all summer. Well maintained.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got my rear leafs in and started settin up my axles. In taking apart the 14b, all the factory lock washers on the carrier were split in multiple pieces and were floating around inside the dif. So I ordered new grade 8 bolts with serrated flanges instead. Hopefully it keeps metal chucks out of my diff until I do something worth metal chunks. Back on it Monday.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Well got my rear leafs in and started settin up my axles. In taking apart the 14b, all the factory lock washers on the carrier were split in multiple pieces and were floating around inside the dif. So I ordered new grade 8 bolts with serrated flanges instead. Hopefully it keeps metal chucks out of my diff until I do something worth metal chunks. Back on it Monday.

Nice work man, just curious is that the shackle angle of the dangle your looking to end up with?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll be pretty close to stock angle. That's full droop.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep it low. Low COG, little lift and big tires is the goal. This set up uses more droop travel than up travel. ORD has been running this set up on their UA GMT-400 for years and it seems to work really well.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Keep it low. Low COG, little lift and big tires is the goal. This set up uses more droop travel than up travel. ORD has been running this set up on their UA GMT-400 for years and it seems to work really well.

Cool, purpose built, not just for moar high, I like it. I was just curious and I'm glad I asked. Thanks man hope the build is treating you well! :)

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks buddy. The build has had it's moments and set backs. I did a ton of research and spec'ed it out for exactly what I need it to do and my throttle happy, wide open driving style. It has to be able to keep up with my buddies Ultra 4 cars on most the trails around here. So it has to flex and be stable in the rocks. It also has to deal with my right foot when I get it on the hills and in the mud. Most importantly it has to be strong and reliable enough to be able to make a 200 mile trip to the trails, wheel hard all weekend, make the 200 mile drive back and still get me to work on Monday.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Thanks buddy. The build has had it's moments and set backs. I did a ton of research and spec'ed it out for exactly what I need it to do and my throttle happy, wide open driving style. It has to be able to keep up with my buddies Ultra 4 cars on most the trails around here. So it has to flex and be stable in the rocks. It also has to deal with my right foot when I get it on the hills and in the mud. Most importantly it has to be strong and reliable enough to be able to make a 200 mile trip to the trails, wheel hard all weekend, make the 200 mile drive back and still get me to work on Monday.

Do all type rig, I like it man. I do the same type of wheeling around here.. a bit of everything, so as you stated you need the stability, and the go-fast ability, as well as the low COG, crawl ratio & flex for pullin yourself up through the rocks. 400s are a good platform for a do-all rig in my opinion.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the bolts to finish my axles haven't shown up yet so I figured I'd start tackling some other things. After a lot of cutting and grinding I have these now...

Which will become...

Body mounts. It's all 3/16" which should suffice considering the stock mounts were 1/16".

Still need to cut out the top plates and burn them in for good.