86 z28 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Used to have a few thirdgens, some with alot of history others to keep the history going long story short, i cut apart the one car i had since birth, bought a 92 to ressurect it but decided i didnt like the t tops. so a year and a half without a thirdgen i scooped up a very rust limited 86 z28 with 68k on it and a 35-t5 combo. its solid and runs and drives its not pretty and needs alot of little things.

basically its a slow build the plans for winter are to pull the engine and trans. the engine will get some vortecs i had laying around that are already ported polished bigger valves and all that, as well as a large cam, wiseco flat tops(since im a supplier at work) ill be putting my 700r4 in it that came out of my 85, and adding a bunch of goodies to that.

itll go matte black before its painted with time and show quality in mind. i have some 4th gen ss 10 spokes i might put on unless i find something different.

as for the rest of the driveline, ill make a driveshaft at work for it, and the rear already has 4.11's with a spool which is a little scary haha. i think ill eventually ditch that for a trutrac and some 3.73's

as for the interior i have the black interior from my old 85 thats in better shape and will be swapped, ill be adding some 4th gen components, looking into newer grand prix seats for it as well as complete LED, aluminum guage rings, and some custom upholstery i can do at my neighbors shop.

as i said itll be a slow project at least until my trucks completely put back together.

heres some pics of the current car
You must be registered for see images attach

and then some parts from my old 85 will be going onto it like the rear louvers, front and rear fascias, full interior. need to look for another hood too
heres the old 85 z28 i had

and my 92 that i tired ressurecting the 85 into. some of the same attention to detail will be going into this car. i did end up finishing the 92 but not as i wanted i basically bolted everything back together and sold it
heres the underside

it wont look like anything special for quite some time, money is a limiting factor as is for most people projects.

once the motor and trans are pulled ill start dewiring. and pull out the ac delete box in favor of nothing mwhahaha.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you told me about the z28, i was wondering where a build for it was. glad to see it. wasnt the biggest fan of the 3rd gen until i had a 4th gen lol, then i started to like the 3rd gens more.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
picked up gta molded door panels, overhead console, 4th gen washer and coolant reservoir, safari hydroboost unit, 4th gen r&p, 30 yards of nice perforated vynil, 4th gen front seat belts and door sills and electric fans. the louvers are on the car. now to look for a 5.3, some ls parts, ford 8.5 rear. 10 spokes, paint, send harness to pocket on tgo.

no pics it looks the same, my builds boring but i guess it helps me more lol. gonna order the kit for the 700r4 ill swap in too and make a carbon fiber hidden switch panel.
debating wether to make the car red or silver and charcoal

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet another fellow thirdgen owner! Ive got a 92 RS 5.0 T5 that Ive owned since 1999.Yours looks like a great starting point.Im sure you already know about thirgen.org.Heres a pic of mine.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ive been on tgo for years, this will be my 4th thirdgen so yes im very experienced with them although this is my first t5 car. and i love it but dealing with restless leg syndrome that clutch really kills me so ill be putting my old built to hell 700r4 in with a few upgrades.

Steve98Z71

Reaction score
I love these third gens! My buddy has a really clean one he built himself these cars are fun!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
mines not super clean but not all rusted like many that fit within my price range anyways the engine just got a set of 305 head the cragar louvers are on the back. molded gta door panels will be started to go in as well as the rest of the interior, engine harness dewired to get cleaner, pain the engine bay, and i added the 4th gen coolant bottle and washer tank. now to find a posi disc rear.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
plans have changed i came into a bit of parts. where to start. well been helping a neighbor at work, hes a great friend and he gave me a full race built BOP 400 that was given to him. also snagged up a short block or long block whichever doesnt have heads i never remember 5.3L scat rotating assembly and 610 lift cam for 350. he had the intake, carb, firing system, and 799 heads upgraded and ported. anyways he wanted alot for all of it but im happy. so now im looking for a chevelle 12 bolt and ill be making all my mounts out of aluminum stock and bolting it all instead of welding to the axle tubes.

also im on the prowl for a type of threaded fender type washer to call it something. needs to be sleeved so to say to wrap around a 1/4in rod brace in the front of the car in front of the radiator.