7.4 info request

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodiak

Reaction score
The '96' and later 454/L29s are typically very good at what they were designed for. That said, past use and maintenance are the true factor in longevity and reliability, as previous posts have stated. The timing chain/sprockets typically are a 150,000mile inspection item. The fuel injectors, leaking, is easily checked and remedied. I would also consider replacing the distributor/wires/plugs on 150,000+ units as well.
As for 'up-grades' I would recommend free flowing exhaust and better induction/air filter as starters.
Some of these engines have a rather hi-temperature thermostat, 210-230, which can cause issues under certain towing conditions so consider a 190 or so replacement when replacing the water-pump.
Always use AC oil filters and better grade synthetic oil at 3000 to 5000 intervals when towing.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked at my manual and for a C3500 crew cab, you have towing capacity of 10,500 lbs with 4.10 or 12,500 lbs with 4.56. Both those 2 numbers are 5th wheel. I think bumper pull was limited to 10,000 lbs.

Check you glovebox for RPO code. You didn't say how heavy your camper is, but I'm guessing you are okay if your V10 excursion handled it. If anything, the dually would be more stable with the DRWs and higher payload.

I own a '00 crew cab K3500 SRW with the 5.7. It was formerly a farm truck that had the 5th wheel hitch, so I know it was worked well in it's former life. I haven't towed with it, but have hauled heavy loads and it handles it just fine.

The C/K3500 of this vintage were well equipped with the heavy duty transmission, hydroboost brakes, engine, trans., power steering oil coolers, 14 bolt full float rear axle from the factory. That all makes for a good towing rig.

I "think" the V10 has a bit more HP/TQ, but the BBC will tend to rev less to get moving. Really depends what your excursion ratio is. If it's a 3.73, you will be at an advantage with 4.10s in the dually.

I hope this helps.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The '96' and later 454/L29s are typically very good at what they were designed for. That said, past use and maintenance are the true factor in longevity and reliability, as previous posts have stated. The timing chain/sprockets typically are a 150,000mile inspection item. The fuel injectors, leaking, is easily checked and remedied. I would also consider replacing the distributor/wires/plugs on 150,000+ units as well.
As for 'up-grades' I would recommend free flowing exhaust and better induction/air filter as starters.
Some of these engines have a rather hi-temperature thermostat, 210-230, which can cause issues under certain towing conditions so consider a 190 or so replacement when replacing the water-pump.
Always use AC oil filters and better grade synthetic oil at 3000 to 5000 intervals when towing.

Thanks for the reply, great info! I always use AC filters on my GM vehicles, and sometimes WIX.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a quick search and found a lot of RV forums asking the same questions. I believe at one time, these were the only 2 gas engines offered in RVs.

GM dropped the 7.4 in favor of 8.1. not even sure what they offer now, if anything.

The new Ford 7.3 GAS engine is getting good reviews. I've watched a few videos and they cite a "flat torque curve." Reminds me of what people said about BBCs. If you look at the numbers, it's not THAT more than 7.4, 20 years later!

The naysayers driving Ecoboost 1/2 tons, of course, were discounting the 7.3 as saying the numbers were not that impressive compared to the eco. Torque curve!

Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked. Maybe search RV forums is what I was saying

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked at my manual and for a C3500 crew cab, you have towing capacity of 10,500 lbs with 4.10 or 12,500 lbs with 4.56. Both those 2 numbers are 5th wheel. I think bumper pull was limited to 10,000 lbs.

Check you glovebox for RPO code. You didn't say how heavy your camper is, but I'm guessing you are okay if your V10 excursion handled it. If anything, the dually would be more stable with the DRWs and higher payload.

I own a '00 crew cab K3500 SRW with the 5.7. It was formerly a farm truck that had the 5th wheel hitch, so I know it was worked well in it's former life. I haven't towed with it, but have hauled heavy loads and it handles it just fine.

The C/K3500 of this vintage were well equipped with the heavy duty transmission, hydroboost brakes, engine, trans., power steering oil coolers, 14 bolt full float rear axle from the factory. That all makes for a good towing rig.

I "think" the V10 has a bit more HP/TQ, but the BBC will tend to rev less to get moving. Really depends what your excursion ratio is. If it's a 3.73, you will be at an advantage with 4.10s in the dually.

I hope this helps.

Having never driven the Ford V10, I've still goten the impression over the years that the 454 will rev less to get the job done than the Ford as stutaeng pointed out.

If the info I've found on the web is correct:

1996 Vortec 7.4 is:
290hp @ 4000
410 ft lb @ 3200

2002 Triton V10 6.8
310hp @ 4250
425 ft lb @ 3250

Assuming each has been properly maintained, I don't think the small differences in the ratings would be very noticeable while towing a trailer. The Ford V10 operates how everyone has described the 7.4 making a lot of power down low and tapering off quickly as the RPM builds. The V10 really doesn't do much more after 3000 rpm than make a lot of noise. Ford programming does well at holding a gear to use the torque rather than downshifting.

The Excursion we have is a 2wd and has 4.30 gears, giving it a towing capacity of 10,500 pounds. It has coolers for the transmission, engine oil, and power steering. Our camper weight varies a bit depending on what we are taking with us, but is usually right around 9,000 pounds. I weighed the Excursion empty and it was 7,260 pounds, although I don't remember how much fuel was in it. I understand this is a Chevy forum, and I prefer Chevy over Ford a bit, but in all honestly that Excursion is a brute and does quite well pulling the camper. Having a family-hauling-grocery-getter appearance makes it a real sleeper when it comes to working.

Now that all of that's been said, and based on what I've read here, I should enjoy a similar towing experience with the '96 dually I have my eye on, especially with the wider stance and stability of the rear axle and a bit longer wheelbase. The Excursion does great hauling the camper, but it ends there. What really attracts me to this dually truck is that I can throw dirty stuff like firewood, bikes, grill, etc. easily in the back of the truck and go while still hauling 3 kids along with us, whereas that's not an option with the Excursion.

My current truck that I recently bought is a 1997 W/T 1500 with a 4.3, auto, and 3.42 gears according to the glove box. We do 95% of our camping within 20 miles of our house, so it's all short trips on country 2 lane highways. I'm tempted to try hauling the camper with it in 3rd gear about 50 mph, but I know it will be way overloaded. I do see OBS Chevy's hauling old heavy campers to the campground though, so I know it can be done! My friends and I have owned many OBS 1/2 ton trucks in the past and they've hauled much more than they should have!

Go ahead and tell me I'm an idiot for even thinking about hauling the camper with my '97 1500 so I get that idea out of my head right now! :anitoof:

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a quick search and found a lot of RV forums asking the same questions. I believe at one time, these were the only 2 gas engines offered in RVs.

GM dropped the 7.4 in favor of 8.1. not even sure what they offer now, if anything.

The new Ford 7.3 GAS engine is getting good reviews. I've watched a few videos and they cite a "flat torque curve." Reminds me of what people said about BBCs. If you look at the numbers, it's not THAT more than 7.4, 20 years later!

The naysayers driving Ecoboost 1/2 tons, of course, were discounting the 7.3 as saying the numbers were not that impressive compared to the eco. Torque curve!

Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked. Maybe search RV forums is what I was saying

I am on a camping forum, it looked like the most active one at the time I signed up, although I don't frequent it often. My other hobby is RC planes, and that is what gets most of my attention. If I had a dually to haul the camper, that would free up the Excursion to be more of a dedicated plane hauler and kid hauler.

At the local campgrounds the most popular truck I see hauling campers is the Ford Superduty 99-07 models, followed closely by the Chevy 2500HD. Not very many Dodge's at all, they are probably in the shop or sitting in a driveway somewhere because they didn't start. Quite a few people still use OBS 1/2 ton trucks to haul in their campers, and their campers are old and heavy. Most of them appear to be retirement age people and I suspect they bought their truck and camper new and have found no reason to upgrade.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just another quick bit of info, we camp from March until November and we rarely miss a weekend! Translation: we haul the camper often! It's always under 20 miles one way, but it is often. Most of the time we don't even bother unhooking the camper when we get home since we're going back out in 4 days.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and tell me I'm an idiot for even thinking about hauling the camper with my '97 1500 so I get that idea out of my head right now!
Buddy of mine towed a camper-trailer with an '87 5.7L TBI half-ton. Maybe not as big 'n' heavy as yours.

Got about 6 mpg.

After a while, he upgraded to a 2006 Duramax.