6.6 LML Duramax Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noone said it won't work? Where did you even read that? In fact he said the opposite.

Shocks don't transfer weight one bit, unless you've got extremely high gas pressure. But I bet you're not getting gas filled shocks. So as a good rule of thumb, shocks don't transfer weight. They just time weight transfer.

Your Duramax will have around the same weight as a big block. There were big block 1/2 tons. Just get torsion bars and LCA's out of the 454 truck.

This post I referenced said he should get LCA's and torsion bars from a 454, I posted a link showing this wasn't needed. I've done one of these, and still have it, but the misinformation out there regarding these swaps drives me up a wall, and sets me off when I see somebody post something that isn't needed. I've actually had people argue with me saying it won't fit, or I'm lieing because of the DURAMAX/ALLISON badges on my doors, and most continue to argue with me when I pop the hood and show it to them and say it will never hold up. Yet here I am at 240K miles(70K of them swapped), and just now having to do front end work MOSTLY because I got the bright idea to do a boosted launch.

But go back through this thread and read all the stuff posted about how the susepnsion won't hold up. Post #2 here said the suspension would need work, post #4 the same, and again post #48 I quoted and posted a response to. So I posted a link to somebody with one, putting down some good power, drag races it and such, and still has stock suspension.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
1.) You're not showing me anything new in that link. I've been around the block. I'm a used up hooker.

2.) You keep saying how you've done one of these swaps, how you didn't have this problem or that problem, how yours is still going strong, yadda yadda. Maybe my ACT score of 33 lies to me, but I'm pretty sure I'm reading it as you did the swap in a 3/4 ton.

3.) You brought up the fact that 1/2 tons came with 454s and 6.5s. Thanks for letting me know exactly what I said in the post dude. That doesn't make a difference. The truck that came with them had different torsion bars. You think you're going to change percentages, keep the same springs, and the overall feel and quality? You're nuts.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
What 4x4 half ton 400 came with a big block?

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) You're not showing me anything new in that link. I've been around the block. I'm a used up hooker.

2.) You keep saying how you've done one of these swaps, how you didn't have this problem or that problem, how yours is still going strong, yadda yadda. Maybe my ACT score of 33 lies to me, but I'm pretty sure I'm reading it as you did the swap in a 3/4 ton.
And why is mine being a 2500 much different? Yes mine has heavier torsion bars, but thats teh primary difference. And I have my torsion bars no where near cranked. GM used the same torsion bars with the 6.5L in the 1500's, and I had to crank mine a whopping 1.5 turns to level it after the swap. And I knew somebody would say mine is a 2500 so it is way different, hence why I posted the link to BIGLEYS 1500 that is also using stock torsion bars, only slightly cranked.
3.) You brought up the fact that 1/2 tons came with 454s and 6.5s. Thanks for letting me know exactly what I said in the post dude. That doesn't make a difference. The truck that came with them had different torsion bars. You think you're going to change percentages, keep the same springs, and the overall feel and quality? You're nuts.Others HAVE done it, and they have no problems. You're reminding me of the people who argue despite the fact it has been done, and works fine. It wasn't that ong ago I talked with Bigley about his 1500, and he had no complaints with how his handled. So the statement about about feel and quality iss your OPINION, NOT fact. It has been done, and the owners are plenty happy with them.

In red. I normally don't post in threads about these swaps because there is always people who say you have to do this, you have to do that, and yada yada yada. You make the statement you've been around the block, yet you continue to push the suspension when it has been proven to not be an issue and works just fine in STOCK form WITH the extra weight. There are SEVERAL reasons I don't reccomend this swap to others anymore, but most of them are NOT for reasons that most say are problems.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna jump in here - not about the original post or whats being argued - but about the attitudes. I'm not pointing fingers, but there is just a bit too much e-flexing going on. Lets not drive off new members, especially those with valuable knowledge to share. Keep it classy guys.

Lets not alienate ourselves - the board itself pretty much drove off TheGreatWhite, and that was a painful loss to the community.

TheFerm - glad to have you on board here. I followed your build thread on the other forum, and strongly considered (and am currently considering) a 12v gen 1 cummins swap because of it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
In red. I normally don't post in threads about these swaps because there is always people who say you have to do this, you have to do that, and yada yada yada. You make the statement you've been around the block, yet you continue to push the suspension when it has been proven to not be an issue and works just fine in STOCK form WITH the extra weight. There are SEVERAL reasons I don't reccomend this swap to others anymore, but most of them are NOT for reasons that most say are problems.

In fact, it has been proven the opposite. 6.5L 1/2 tons did indeed come with different torsion bars.

You seem to have a different understanding of this all. You're saying that it is possible to do, and it won't break. Well, this is true. People put plows on the front of 1/2 tons all the time. But just because it can be done, and just because it won't break, doesn't mean it's the best approach to the situation, and doesn't mean it won't cause other issues. Like I previously stated, You can't change static weight, keep the same spring rate, and expect something to handle the same. If he's got the ability to change torsion bars, it would be beneficial to him. Sure, he can leave the ones that are in there, but it would be better if he were to change them.

I'm not trying to get into a d!ck swinging contest with you. But I tune suspension day in and day out. It's what I do. For 10 hours a day I weld, and for the other 6 I tune suspension. You've got a Duramax swapped GMT400? Cool! I've done a few engines swaps myself. You moderate a very small unpopular forum? Cool! I've administered literally millions.

The problem you're having is with perspective. You're looking at it as far as what is possible to do, and I'm looking at it as far as what is better to do. You can do a SAS without moving your axle forward. That's very possible to do. You can put a body lift on without extending your shift linkage. That's very possible to do. You can weld in patch panels without first having sprayed weldable primer on the back side. That's very possible to do. But none of them are the right thing to do.