6.5 mechanics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny302

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering what kind of shops y’all can recommend for a 93 k3500 with a 6.5 td? Everyone I talk to knows nothing about them and and most are just impressed it’s still running. If I wanted parts thrown at it I’d just do it myself would I be better off having a off road diesel mechanic look it over?

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do it yourself there alot of videos and info on the 6.5s, not alot of newer mechanics have knowledge of there's old dinosaurs. But generally these motors have kinks you have to work out like relocation of the pmd because it gets hot in the factory location. I'll send you a video on some good tips

Kenny302

Reaction score
93 trucks don’t have a pmd. All mechanical. And I don’t have time for another project. It’s had the lift pump,injectors,glow plugs and battery cables replaced Based on YouTube recommendations. I have more money than time at the moment and just want to farm a few jobs out so I don’t get further behind.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have more money than time at the moment and just want to farm a few jobs out so I don’t get further behind.
Man, be careful who you tell that to. All of a sudden the "expert" mechanics will come out of the woodwork and soak you for every dollar on that 6.5td

But like they're saying, actual mechanics that work on 6.5's? Good luck, and I mean that honestly, not sarcastically. There's probably a couple people out there that really know them but not like you're likely to stumble across one near you - but if you do, go buy yourself a stack of lottery tickets, too.

Richard

Kenny302

Reaction score
I have a limit on what I’m willing to spend of course. I was only wondering if people had better luck taking them to retired military mechs or tractor shops. I don’t need it anyhow. Guess I’ll drive it over the hill out of sight and dump it. I don’t need another headache

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of military mechs worked on these 6.5s on cucvs K5 blazers just make some friends with some vets I'm pretty sure they are more knowledgeable then some mechanics

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering what kind of shops y’all can recommend for a 93 k3500 with a 6.5 td? Everyone I talk to knows nothing about them and and most are just impressed it’s still running. If I wanted parts thrown at it I’d just do it myself would I be better off having a off road diesel mechanic look it over?
They're no harder to work on than a gas engine. They do have specific issues of course- unless yours is a very late '93 it will have a mechanical injection pump, which eliminates the primary point of failure, the PMD. As asked, what service does it need? Most of the time, the glow plugs are burned out, and often hard to get out and replace without breaking the tips off. Start by checking continuity on them all. Less than 6 working and the engine is a hard start even in hot climates. The other thing is the starter, when they get old they crank more slowly, right as the engine starts getting looser and that also makes a hard start. Head gaskets can be an issue if the truck is abused or modified much.

Kenny302

Reaction score
Yeah I’m checking around for some ex military mechanics. It’s a mechanical injection truck no pmd starts like a gas truck no coolant in oil no overpressure cooling system never had it get hot. All the trouble shooting on the internet leads you don’t the same road I’ve upgraded battery cables, changed injectors and glow plugs and it runs better but not right. At start up it often shakes and white smokes and it runs rough and misses from around 1500-2000 and if you roll in the throttle at low speeds it falls on its face for a few seconds and then comes on hard and feels good. Been that way since I bought it. Otherwise reliable. I’d like to see those issues resolved and get it a clean bill of health before I throw money at making it the way I want.