6.5 mechanics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it’s mechanical that’s probably a good thing really.

Potentially sounds like a bad lift pump- easy fix and should be replaced anyways…

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check lift pump pressure under load, but I can almost guarantee you have a bad OPS not letting the lift pump run. 95 and older is extrmely prone to this.

Newer OPS's are not as robust as the original, so you will need a relay harness in addition to a new OPS.

www.leroydiesel.com sells a good one, and his has the WTS prime feature like a 96+, very helpful to overcome a tiny air leak.

Before you do final checkout with Leroy, check the condition of the harmonic balancer and the damper pulley. Leroy sells improvements for those, as well as oil cooler lines.

I am a glutton for punishment I guess, but I am always worried about a cornstalk snagging a cooler line, and so on the 96 and older low output oil pump systems, I stick with GM lines, they tuck out of the way better. They are leak prone though at the crimps.

If you dont have to worry about off road obstacles snagging them, Leroy's lines are definitely superior.

Basically the preventive maintenance is the same as a gasser, fix leaks, inspect the harmonic balancer, make sure your fluids and filters are changed often, thermostat is good, etc.

Reputable vendors are www.leroydiesel.com and www.quadstartuning.com

What is your usage for this vehicle? If you dont plan on extreme loads, I'd say a lift pump relay harness and a factory airbox from a 1997+ 6.5L is all Id do outside of maintenance. These things are actually kinda spunky when caught up on maintenance, guys love comparing new upgraded parts to old failed/ wore parts and then crow that upgrades are mandatory to pull a friggin car trailer. Then they have 10K+ wrapped up in it and then get stomped by a HPCR diesel then get mad. lol

I pull a loaded 30' gooseneck with a stock 95 6.5L NV4500 and get by fine. yes, im in 3rd on most grades, 2nd on the nastiest ones, but it hasnt failed to get me over the mountain, and she'll roll 65-70 on the flat just fine.

So just to recap, buy a new AC Delco OPS, and a leroy diesel lift pump relay harness. start there, and get back to us on how it performs after that.

Kenny302

Reaction score
I don’t have any time or interest to fool with the old truck at the moment to many projects and to much work to pay for em. I’m mainly asking what type of shops people have had success with. Lift pump does run and pushes plenty of fuel out the tap I’ve temporarily hardwired it once to bypass ops made no noticeable difference. Leroy has enough of my money so I’m not concerned with the balancer unless the truck starts acting right. As far as usage the truck sits at a crossroads if I can’t get it sorted out I’ll keep doing what I’m doing hauling whatever fits in the 8’ box and using it a a daily when need be. truck sits 90% of the time. If I can get it running right it’s going to get some love and be my light duty Under 10k tow rig. Just unwilling to throw more money at it until it gets a clean bill of health.