5th Gear at 5000 RPM and 35mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It turning 5k (or not) should be obvious.

Alternator, ignition, tach all in direct contact... Alternator ripple throwing tach?
I agree with the others on the tach. My dad used to put Sun tachs in our square body trucks, and I remember they had a little switch on the back of the housing, that had 3 positions: 4,6, or 8. All of them had this, even the other brands that he got when the Sun's weren't available.
His first several cars were stick shift and he liked the idea of having a tach to see the shift points. Also helps to see how many revs you're doing at a given speed, and check speedo accuracy.

AZHomesteader

Reaction score
Will check into those things tonight. Thanks Fella's. Waiting for him to call me back as it's a 30 Mile Drive to his place and He's not paying me to drive back and forth to check this and that but I do want to help him. LOL. He can take a pic of the Tach for me, and If I remember correctly from Yesterday, the Rear End Tag is On there from when I was there yesterday. He can take a pic of that too.

AZHomesteader

Reaction score
Still Waiting on him to get me a picture of the Tach and Tag on the Rear End. The only sticker in the Glove Box is a sticker about "Truck Camper Loading Instructions", Is the Other Build Sticker Behind the Glove Compartment or would it be in the Glove Compartment?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you open the glove box and drop the door down the tags on left are OE tire and wheel, vehicle cargo weight ratings, etc. On the right side tag is the Regular Production Order, RPO tag with VIN number and three digit option, installed parts. AQ1, GT4, and so on. Good luck. And i agree with the others on the Tach switch.

AZHomesteader

Reaction score
So he sent me a pic of the Tach. Went Iequus Website and they don't have installation or calibration manual for this particular tach, White 3 3/8 inch size. I all I can find is a generic Tach Installation File that mentions a Cyl Button to press to calibrate it to the correct number of cylinders. I know this is an Older than Dirt Tach (again 1990 Frankentruck). Wires go in through the Top of the Dash In a hole and Out into the engine Compartment and last time I was there, I couldn't even find where the wires came out the firewall and hookup. Gonna Run over there again on Saturday on my way to town and take a look at it again. Hell took me 30 minutes on the phone to get him to take a pic of the tach, he kept sending me pics of the VIN sticker and everything else you can imagine. Apparently he doesn't even know what a Tach is, Had to finally tell him "take a pic of the thing that Said you were doing 5k RPM" LOL. UGH.\
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
That's not an old tach.
Equus is what Sun turned into, back in the early 90s if not before. I remember Dad used the similar Sun tach on our square body Burbs, and there was a point where he went through several of the Equus ones before he got one that would last more than a month. And this was on an 84 C10 suburban with a stock 350 quadrajet. So the tach may be the problem.... IIRC there's a little round slot in the back of the housing that has the plastic screw you turn to set the cylinder count. Should have"4 6 8" on it and you line up the screw slot with the correct number.

AZHomesteader

Reaction score
Gonna Be heading over to his place today or tomorrow Will Take a look at it. Only thing I can find on Equus Website is Installation instructions for their NEW ones with the Screw On backs (those cheap looking ones where the Plastic screw on part always cracks with .000000000001 Ft lbs of torque on them LOL).
Equus is what Sun turned into, back in the early 90s if not before. I remember Dad used the similar Sun tach on our square body Burbs, and there was a point where he went through several of the Equus ones before he got one that would last more than a month. And this was on an 84 C10 suburban with a stock 350 quadrajet. So the tach may be the problem.... IIRC there's a little round slot in the back of the housing that has the plastic screw you turn to set the cylinder count. Should have"4 6 8" on it and you line up the screw slot with the correct number.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Gonna Be heading over to his place today or tomorrow Will Take a look at it. Only thing I can find on Equus Website is Installation instructions for their NEW ones with the Screw On backs (those cheap looking ones where the Plastic screw on part always cracks with .000000000001 Ft lbs of torque on them LOL).
Yes Dad didn't like the newer ones with the plastic housing. The first ones we had still had a metal "can" and were just made better in general. But that was in the 80s lol.
He first had one on his 75 sierra classic, took the bracket and cut,bent and remade it so it would mount on the inside of the A pillar windshield post and be angled where the driver could see it easily. He painted it to match the dark green interior trim, so it almost looked like a factory installation.