5th Gear at 5000 RPM and 35mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZHomesteader

Reaction score
Finally Made it over to the Guys house. It's got a 3 Way Switch on the back of the Tach with No markings on it at all for which setting is 4, 6 or 8 Cylinder and all Equus Shows for Install is the New Stuff with a Button to push to Calibrate. Anyone Know off hand which one is the 8 Cylinder Setting. I tried all 3 Settings the other day when I was there and all 3 Settings dropped the RPM to 750 while it was running (that Can't be the case if the setting is off). It's Wired into the Distributor as far as I can tell. I didn't Drive it that day again but he said it's still getting 5k Rpm around 40 Mph. There is NO Tag on the rear end to determine the gears, Might have to go over one day and do the Jack up and rotate the wheel/Drive Shaft check and see what his Rear Gears are at. UGH.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Since it's a franken truck, I'd wire my own tach in it. Or, if it is somehow still running the factory TBI EFI system, hook a scan tool up to it to see just what RPM the ECM is looking at. An auxiliary tach would be nice too. Use something with GPS to compare & verify vehicle speed with actual speed. Doubt the rear gears are original. Doubt the trans is even original, we need an ID on that too.

AZHomesteader

Reaction score
Well, I don't have to worry about it anymore, He sent me this picture today, Looks Like he blew his Motor. Asked him what was going on and He said he was checking his oil and it was Low (While the engine was running) and was adding more Oil and on his way home he blew his motor.

Attachments

• Resized_20211012_173828.jpg
    Resized_20211012_173828.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 21

AZHomesteader

Reaction score
Well, I don't have to worry about it anymore, He sent me this picture today, Looks Like he blew his Motor. Asked him what was going on and He said he was checking his oil and it was Low (While the engine was running) and was adding more Oil and on his way home he blew his motor.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ Haha

I remember a story from a shop, a civic drive in with (1) 15" rim, (1) 17" rim, (1) 18" rim and (1) mini-spare... they drove in because it wasnt running right after their last oil change. The mechanic checked the oil and oil came pouring out of the dipstick tube and the oil filter was 5 years old. He thinks their oil change was just adding 5 quarts every 3000 miles, lol