5.7 vortec mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thought I would throw out the best MPG improvement I have found with an 0411 or LS PCM in a vehicle.
LEAN CRUISE.

The 6.0L/4L80E/4.10 geared 71 Chevelle I tune went from 25 mpg to 29 mpg merely enabling lean cruise once I had a good tune already on the car. This is with lean cruise actually properly enabled, not that bandaid crap some tuners do by disabling closed loop and running in open loop. The car periodically goes back to closed loop so that the PCM still adjust the fueling as needed for slight weather and fuel changes. The car has a 160°F thermostat in it and was tuned to run all day long on 87 octane. At light throttle the car is in 4th gear by 24 mph, lean cruise by 26 mph, and torque converter lockup by 34 mph. It will coast around town at 1,400 rpm in lean cruise and not miss a beat. At light throttle, light load the car runs perfectly fine at 16.9:1 air/fuel ratio with 4° of added timing to compensate for the leaner mixtures slower burn rate.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Just thought I would throw out the best MPG improvement I have found with an 0411 or LS PCM in a vehicle.
LEAN CRUISE.

The 6.0L/4L80E/4.10 geared 71 Chevelle I tune went from 25 mpg to 29 mpg merely enabling lean cruise once I had a good tune already on the car. This is with lean cruise actually properly enabled, not that bandaid crap some tuners do by disabling closed loop and running in open loop. The car periodically goes back to closed loop so that the PCM still adjust the fueling as needed for slight weather and fuel changes. The car has a 160°F thermostat in it and was tuned to run all day long on 87 octane. At light throttle the car is in 4th gear by 24 mph, lean cruise by 26 mph, and torque converter lockup by 34 mph. It will coast around town at 1,400 rpm in lean cruise and not miss a beat. At light throttle, light load the car runs perfectly fine at 16.9:1 air/fuel ratio with 4° of added timing to compensate for the leaner mixtures slower burn rate.

Any resources for the lean cruise setting? I've looked into it but don't even know where to start to tune for it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any resources for the lean cruise setting? I've looked into it but don't even know where to start to tune for it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

If you are tuning an 0411 I can walk you through it.

You need a good tune that datalogs good long term fuel trims and preferably a wideband to get started.

Awest623

Reaction score

You need a good tune that datalogs good long term fuel trims and preferably a wideband to get started.
Unfortunately, I'm away from my truck till June, but if you have any resources I could study about it I'd appreciate it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
454 and 350 tbs use the same blade as mentioned before. Removing the lip and hogging out the taper at the base of the 350 TB will, for all intents and purposes, make them flow identical. 454 uses a progressive throttle arm whereas the 350 uses a linear arm. 350 had the flap, 454 does not.

What's the 4.3L use? At a prior job, another guy and I both noticed how the 4.3L powered van had a touchy throttle at take off.... on/off would be a good description. Neither one of us drove it regularly. I was used to driving my 454, and he was used to driving a 350 powered G3500 work van. I thought maybe it was the transmission difference, as we both had 4L80e's but the 4.3L van had a 4L60e. My dad's old 350/4L60e truck wasn't super touchy, Though.

I wonder if van engines got a different throttle body arm, from trucks.

Awest623

Reaction score

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I have an 0411 and a wideband now. From my knowledge all I have to do is change the platform code to V, copy over the platform data, and plug in the values for lean cruise?

Awest623

Reaction score

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I have an 0411 and a wideband now. From my knowledge all I have to do is change the platform code to V, copy over the platform data, and plug in the values for lean cruise?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depends. With EFILive you need to regionally code Windows to not the US, then install EFILive to your computer.