4L80 reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome thanks. Been much more helpful than... Some people.
no problem. I would generally still be empathetic to the thing you are referencing because most people,not me very much, do get normally/understandably burnt out on the volume of posts where the reaction wasnt probably to you but rather a learned reaction to people who genuinely put in little effort, want everything done for them through the internet, and usually go as fast as they arrived. so the cheer or attitude gets wittled away bit by bit till your last shred of humanity is about to slip away and you become truly broken

Oh silly me i started talking about myself in the end :blah:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Aurora, I have nothing but respect for you. You know a lot of very technical stuff most people might only ever do once and never know why.

You take the time to explain how to do something, why you do it this way and how it works. and you do it in a way that most people should be able to understand.

You taught me about alternators and They were quite foreign to me.

Thanks! and CHEERS! :cheers:

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
They are for a couple of specific applications that I was comparing when I was researching the 60E to 80E swap in my red '97 (4.3L C1500), but now I'm starting to second guess how accurate that is as a blanket statement for '96+ trucks. Probably best to double check on RockAuto or one of the GM parts sites (Wholesale GM Parts Online, GM Parts Direct, Nemiga Parts, etc).

I don't recall my mechanic mentioning anything about adjusting the shift cable during my swap, but it's possible he did and never told me.

@Joe Dirte Question, does it act strange every time you shift into reverse or just the first time you get in and drive it for the day? The reason I ask is I have a similar issue after the 80E swap in my red truck. If it sits without being driven for a few days the torque converter will empty back into the trans, which makes the first gear selection take a few seconds because the pump has to engage and fill the converter with fluid again. At first I thought there was something wrong with the reverse in my junkyard 80E, but after a conversation with my mechanic and some testing I determined that it didn't matter which gear I selected, it happened in every one. Reverse was just the gear I happened to use first leaving the house every time. My solution is shifting to neutral for 3-5 seconds to get the pump going before grabbing a gear if the truck's been sitting for a few days, it works great.
Let it idle to warm up n play musical trucks and it did wanna engage reverse lil faster when I put it in neutral for few seconds. I may add another half quart after I see about adjusting cable. And find source of this brand new coolant leak.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cable adjustment is EASY. There's a little clip you pop down near the transmission end and you can make the cable longer and shorter. Just pop that with trans and shifter in park and it'll find its way home. Snap the clip back down, done. You can kinda see it here, it's the white thing IIRC.

You must be registered for see images attach

This was from my 4L80 swap in my 1500.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Cable adjustment is EASY. There's a little clip you pop down near the transmission end and you can make the cable longer and shorter. Just pop that with trans and shifter in park and it'll find its way home. Snap the clip back down, done. You can kinda see it here, it's the white thing IIRC.

You must be registered for see images attach

This was from my 4L80 swap in my 1500.
That's what I thought. Thanks. Just watched vid aurora shared n now remembered how it was same way on my caprice. Looks like I'll be crawlin under soon as my helper shows up.