4L80 reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Low mile 4L80e (60k). 98. Reverse seems to be takin a bit to kick in. All new fluid, filter, lines, cooler. currently having to guestimate my fluid level as the oroginal dipstick broke and I can't find one to replace it. Using a 60 dipstick n it's a lil long. Trying not to overfill. Is reverse known to be a weak point or beginning of signs of failure?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, no-reverse or delayed reverse can be a common problem on these units...Reverse servo can be a one of the causes of this, but there could be others. Here's an article to diagnose the problem. Reverse band can be another problem, as could be hydraulic or electric issues.

I thought the dipsticks were the same for the 60e and 80e? At least on my NBS 99 that was the case. @df2x4 also mentioned the same on one of threads...What year is your truck?
img_20210201_212410759_mp-jpg.232289

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Yes, no-reverse or delayed reverse can be a common problem on these units...Reverse servo can be a one of the causes of this, but there could be others. Here's an article to diagnose the problem. Reverse band can be another problem, as could be hydraulic or electric issues.

I thought the dipsticks were the same for the 60e and 80e? At least on my NBS 99 that was the case. @df2x4 also mentioned the same on one of threads...What year is your truck?
You must be registered for see images attach
Mines a 98. Grabbed one from a 97 or 98 at yard and it was half inch or so longer where the z bends are and with tip of old dipstick gone I cant be 100% on the tip. My call around to other yards or just dig around in em to see if I can get an 80 dipstick. Really hoping it's a low fluid issue so not runnin it much til I can get new dipstick. Lookin up a couple things on YouTube n they talkin bout having to weld a lil bit extra on the servo rod to make it go in a Lil deeper. Really don't wanna pay for another 80 or a rebuild. Did top off fluid some other day and reverse worked better so maybe I am still low. Totally different vehicle but my Mazda b2600 had issue with reverse cuz of low fluid too.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It wasn't from an Express Van, now, was it? I picked up a 4L80e a while back from one of those vans and those fill tubes are much longer...I just remembered...

I was going to suggest you just cut it and scribe new lines on it. I think the fill line is right at the top of the oil pan.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
It wasn't from an Express Van, now, was it? I picked up a 4L80e a while back from one of those vans and those fill tubes are much longer...I just remembered...

I was going to suggest you just cut it and scribe new lines on it. I think the fill line is right at the top of the oil pan.
We just had to take a 4L80 off an express van motor. That damn dipstick had be 6ft long haha. My trans was out of a k2500. Was like a water Dept truck or something. Dude let me drive it before we tore it out, he drove it 2 hrs home no issues. If it doesn't rain too much I may run to yard in next county over n see if they have an 80 laying around.

Video I'm watching now dude said it clunks into R and free revs it's probly the servo pin but mines tryin to engage. This truck has been the biggest headache of all my projects I've ever had haha

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Thought just crossed my mind. Since I went from a 60 to an 80 would shift cable need adjusted? Somethin I should check anyways?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why? Do you remember there being a cable when you:

went from a 60 to an 80
?

Theres no TV cable on an E tranny. The E stands for electronic. As in how it's commanded to shift. It's moderated by the PCM.

But yes, definitely check for a cable. And if you find one, let us know. Maybe it's one of those invisible ones!

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Why? Do you remember there being a cable when you:

?

Theres no TV cable on an E tranny. The E stands for electronic. As in how it's commanded to shift. It's moderated by the PCM.

But yes, definitely check for a cable. And if you find one, let us know. Maybe it's one of those invisible ones!
The shifter cable since we don't have shift rods on the trucks. Not the TV cable.:rolleyes: wow....

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shifter cable since we don't have shift rods on the trucks. Not the TV cable.:rolleyes: wow....
Yes you most CERTAINLY need to adjust that cable NOW. I dont want to sound alarmist but your manual valve NEEDS to match your shifter detents, because your shifter detents can easily hold your truck in "half reverse" between neutral or park, both are not desireable at all. Your detents most likely have to be in neutral on both the shifter and trans(there is a procedure that says for certain) and then you change the cable length to match this.
the pcm also probably needed to be reprogrammed i hope you did since it has completely different calibrations for that too.
Your transmission has an internal shiffter position thingy sensor, but your pcm uses the shifter selection as what it follows, that would set a code if it didnt match most likely, but your transmission doesnt have the code definitions onboard and its never a problem when adjusted because the shifters both get detented to the same spot, then linked by cable and that usually means they stay the same

hell, the cable may be different depending on how they differ.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo