4L60e trams with 283,*** miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad bought this truck new off the lot so we know what has been done with it. It's been through a lot for a c1500, any where from 100 mile daily trips to work and hauling a 32 foot 5th wheel camper. When my dad gave it to me last September he was worried the trams wouldn't make it another year. Now that it has I wanna make it last as long as I can but its starting to slip some. With the number of knowledgeable guys/gals on this forum I figured someone had good advice on this.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I put that Lucas brand transmission stop-slip stuff in my old truck with the 4L60E, and it worked. It had been slipping in reverse some. Fixed the problem for another 6 months or so before my motor gave up the ghost. We'll never know how much longer it would've lasted.

Other people on this site say that all it will do it wreck your trans, but it worked for me. It's a temporary solution of course, 283k miles (455k kms) is a lot for that transmission. Not to say it couldn't last awhile longer, but if it's never been rebuilt, and it blows, it doesn't owe you anything.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put that Lucas brand transmission stop-slip stuff in my old truck with the 4L60E, and it worked. It had been slipping in reverse some. Fixed the problem for another 6 months or so before my motor gave up the ghost. We'll never know how much longer it would've lasted.

Other people on this site say that all it will do it wreck your trans, but it worked for me. It's a temporary solution of course, 283k miles (455k kms) is a lot for that transmission. Not to say it couldn't last awhile longer, but if it's never been rebuilt, and it blows, it doesn't owe you anything.

I did the same on my 99 silverado and it lasted me another 2 years. It finally gave out a 230k [lost 3rd and 4th] had it rebuild with a few mods.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
I purchased a truck with blown out reverse. One of those deals just to good to pass on. Anyways never tearing into a tranny before I purchased a dvd from a company called box wrench.
I transferred the dvd to my android . The dvd was great very detailed. I ended up spending 70$ to fix the transmission.
That was last year. Cars still going strong.
http://video.boxwrench.net/transmission/General-Motors-4L60E.htm

Last edited: