4l60e to 4l80e swap question re transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that the output shafts on the 4l60e and 4l80e are different and by consequence the input shafts of their respect transfer cases. PATC makes a swap kit which is simple enough. But does anyone know if the transfer cases on a k2500 with a 4l80e vs a k1500 with a 4L60e are different other than the input shaft? Reason I ask is that the cost for a junkyard xfer case from a same year k2500 with a rebuild is about the same as the PATC kit. But if the transfer case was native to a 4L80e it would allow a generic 4l80e to be used vice requiring one be rebuilt with the modified output shaft which may make future upkeep easier (note that I'd still use a rebuilt vice risk a bad xmission but it wouldn't need to be rebuilt with the special shaft). Looking at Rock Auto the cases have the same part numbers so they're externally equivalent which would resolve any fitment issues. So to my mind a transfer case swap makes more sense providing I'm not missing anything.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One other question. Would it be possible to simply replace the input shaft of a 4L60e transfer case with that from a 4L80e? Input shafts new are <$100 so even with a rebuild would be less than the PATC kit. And you get a rebuilt xfer case so perhaps a clear preference.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What tranfer case do you have? NP246? So basically swap the 27 spline input shaft of the TC to a 32 spline? Or other way around? Your truck is a K1500?

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 1998 k1500. Transfer case is NP243. Curious about swapping the 27 spline input shaft that mates to a 4L60e with a 32 spline that mates to the 4L80e. Or just swap the entire transfer case from a k2500 into my k1500.

Last edited: