4L60E no third gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
So talked with my dad, I'm going to limp the truck home over thanksgiving break and use his, he'll drive his jeep. Over winter break I'm looking at learning how to rebuild it, or buying one from a junkyard. Playing it by ear, but it looks like I should be able to keep my truck!

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
So talked with my dad, I'm going to limp the truck home over thanksgiving break and use his, he'll drive his jeep. Over winter break I'm looking at learning how to rebuild it, or buying one from a junkyard. Playing it by ear, but it looks like I should be able to keep my truck!

Good man!

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
Even bigger update: buddy of mine who got hit bought a parts truck to fix his, and he offered me the 4L80E tranny and manual transfer case. I have push-button 4x4(Would rather have manual) and I've been doing some reading on the swap. Hypothetically it would be disconnect the 60 completely, take that out, put in the 80, use a jumper harness for the electrical plug, swap ECM's with the parts trucks, and have a shop shorten my driveshaft. Am I missing anything? The truck is a 97. Would I have to swap transfer cases or could i use an adapter?

Last edited:

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I rebuilt and upgrade my trans for under $300. Don't pay $2000 for a rebuild..........thats simply ridiculous! You can buy a fully built/upgraded transmission for $1200 shipped as long as you know how to take one out and put one in.

I did 3-4 z pack clutches, full seal kit, new band, molded 3-4 piston, molded forward piston, Trans go shift kit, corvette servo, new flexplate, rear main seal, oil pan gasket( about $190 in parts and another $100 in fluids) and a few months of time in my garage working on it off and on.

This made my truck shift great. Nice and firm shifts and crisp downshifts. Well worth the money and time in my view.

Contact Rhino on here. He hooked me up nice. See my sig

Last edited:

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
I rebuilt and upgrade my trans for under $300. Don't pay $2000 for a rebuild..........thats simply ridiculous! You can buy a fully built/upgraded transmission for $1200 shipped as long as you know how to take one out and put one in.

I did 3-4 z pack clutches, full seal kit, new band, molded 3-4 piston, molded forward piston, Trans go shift kit, corvette servo, new flexplate, rear main seal, oil pan gasket( about $190 in parts and another $100 in fluids) and a few months of time in my garage working on it off and on.

This made my truck shift great. Nice and firm shifts and crisp downshifts. Well worth the money and time in my view.

Contact Rhino on here. He hooked me up nice. See my sig

Just checked out that link. That doesn't seem terrible(I'd probably upgrade to the stage 1) and I think I could do that over winter break. Which I'm probably gonna do because the 4l80E in the parts truck is slipping in third gear, so it would need the same repair soon anyway.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rhino will hook You up. I used a combination of pdf instructions and YouTube videos. Really not that hard to do as long as your patient and take your time. Most trans shops do 5 4l60e's a week.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
Rhino will hook You up. I used a combination of pdf instructions and YouTube videos. Really not that hard to do as long as your patient and take your time. Most trans shops do 5 4l60e's a week.

Cool thanks. I do have access to a few mechanics (for the cost of the beer and crown royal) so It shouldn't be terrible. My dad has all sorts of air tools that he bought because he wanted them(Never been used) so I should be able to. Thanks.