4L60E no third gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
Hey all, today I was driving north and noticed that my truck didn't have third gear. Manually selecting first and second works, but third the truck will just rev up. If I put it into drive it'll rev up to like 4500, then it will start delivering power to the wheels. So I'm only doing like 60, but the trucks pushing 4500. The engine temp was a little higher than normal. Anyone know what could cause this?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Sounds like the trans is slipping. Only thing you can really do is adjust the pressure a little with a screw in the valve body change the fluid and add a bottle of lucas trans fix, but your trans sounds like its to far gone already.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
Sounds like the trans is slipping. Only thing you can really do is adjust the pressure a little with a screw in the valve body change the fluid and add a bottle of lucas trans fix, but your trans sounds like its to far gone already.

Just stopped at a transmission shop nearby. They said it's likely the 3-4 clutch and quoted me $2000 to completely rebuild it, with a two year warranty. At this point I'm probably not going to get it fixed. I'll limp it around in 2nd until winter break, then my dad is probably going to get a newer truck and give me his GMT800. At this point I'd have to take out a loan to fix it, and with my luck by the time i got close to paying off the loan something else would break. So probably going to get rid of my truck. Wish I had the money to fix my truck though.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Just stopped at a transmission shop nearby. They said it's likely the 3-4 clutch and quoted me $2000 to completely rebuild it, with a two year warranty. At this point I'm probably not going to get it fixed. I'll limp it around in 2nd until winter break, then my dad is probably going to get a newer truck and give me his GMT800. At this point I'd have to take out a loan to fix it, and with my luck by the time i got close to paying off the loan something else would break. So probably going to get rid of my truck. Wish I had the money to fix my truck though.

:bawl: :ban::badidea::Nonono::Good or Bad:

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
The worst part is yesterday I was looking at possibly doing a NV4500 swap over winter, but with the transmission going out I can't wait that long. Being broke sucks

Yeah, it does. The only reason I still have my truck is because my mom had some money stashed away. My dad was telling us that we couldnt have it fixed

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I only paid $1400 and it's got heavy duty clutches with a z pack in second and third wide banded with a modified valve body ( shift kit like stuff) and a new heavy duty dacco converter

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
I only paid $1400 and it's got heavy duty clutches with a z pack in second and third wide banded with a modified valve body ( shift kit like stuff) and a new heavy duty dacco converter

The shop that did my transmisson up here put in an entirely new transmission and it was only $1800

Yeah but even if I manage to find a shop that'll do that, that's still more than I want/can spend right now. Driving the lifted truck is fun but not for commuting to college everyday. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford another GMT400. But on the plus side if I get my dad's truck, it has electric butt warmers!

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Yeah but even if I manage to find a shop that'll do that, that's still more than I want/can spend right now. Driving the lifted truck is fun but not for commuting to college everyday. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford another GMT400. But on the plus side if I get my dad's truck, it has electric butt warmers!

If anything take the tags and insurance and let it sit it's won't cost you anything that way and you'll be able to save money and fix it