4l60e cooler line/aux cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbanswervin

Reaction score
I am hooking up a new aux cooler and lines for my 96 suburban 5.7vortec, to my knowledge the supply line ( bottom port) is supposed to go to the bottom port right side of radiator; which then passes up the rad exiting the top port right side of the rad, then connecting to the top port of the aux cooler to be cooled once more,cool atf then exiting bottom port of the aux cooler sending cooler atf back to the a/t through the top (return) port. Am i correct? Reason for asking is the previous owner had this reversed which may have caused the blown transmission. The way it was routed before the supply pressure port was sending the hot atf to the top port of the rad through to the bottom port of the aux cooler

Attachments

• IMG_20240510_194021_352.jpg
    IMG_20240510_194021_352.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 7

burbanswervin

Reaction score
Check this out.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thats basically exactly what i explained except the exit of the cooled atf from the aux cooler is exiting from the top port, my knowlege is that it cools better if the atf passes through the top first being cooled and exiting the bottom port to go back to thr transmission

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how the factory sets it up. I tend to think they know what there doing. So the answer you get would be what factory designed. If your results are better let us know.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how the factory sets it up. I tend to think they know what there doing. So the answer you get would be what factory designed. If your results are better let us know.
That is absolutely not how mine was setup from the factory on my 97 Express and 99 Tahoe. Hot fluid entered the top of the radiator on both and exited the bottom. Factory Express van diagram for reference. Fluid flows down from the top to the bottom because it cools the best with the coolest point of the radiator being the coolant outlet from the radiator at the bottom. My 97 Express van did not have the OE auxiliary cooler but my 99 Tahoe did. All 3 of the older G-vans I have owned a 1983, 1987 and 1994 were also setup with the cooler inlet at the top and outlet at the bottom. The one GM exception I have seen to this was my 1990 RS Camaro. The hot fluid entered the lower port on that car. The Camaro's transmission made much less heat thus GM probably did that to reduce the cooling in that application.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This? I'll check where I got those diagram s.