4L60E Cold Slipping in First?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member here. I looked through the 4L60e problems thread, and nothing seemed to quite match up with my experience, so I wanted to ask the experts here.

I just purchased a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 with 150k miles about two weeks ago. I feel the truck has been very well taken care of, the interior is practically immaculate and the exterior is also in great shape. When I test drove it prior to buying it, it drove great and stopped great. In the last 3-4 days, it has been very cold in my area (and it got cold all of a sudden). Since the cold weather started, my transmission has been acting strange in the mornings, and occasionally if it sits long enough for the engine/transmission to get cold enough again. When I put it into D, it idle-rolls much faster than usual with my foot off the brake. When I give it any gas, it sounds like a very large fan has been turned on in the engine compartment, and it feels like there may be some slippage. It doesn't seem to shift gears during this. It does this for a very short time, and then it goes into gear and behaves normally for the rest of the time I drive. It goes into all gears fine, and the loud "fan" noise is gone. I did a hot fluid check and the level is good, and the fluid does not look burnt at all.

Also, today after I had been driving for a few minutes, while stopped at a stoplight, I felt a shudder in the truck. The RPM did not look like it was fluctuating at all, and when I pulled away from the light it drove normally. When I got to my destination, I held it with the brakes in my parking spot (in Drive) hoping to replicate the shudder, but it did not do it again. I am unsure if this issue is related, but I wanted to mention it in case it is.

Any information about this issue (issues) would be greatly appreciated, and I can answer any questions if needed for diagnostic purposes. Thank you

Reaction score
The more research I do, the more it sounds like the transmission is in "limp" mode for a short time. Could there be some sensor that is affected by cold that is triggering limp mode on the trans? I should also say that I have no check engine light or warning lights on.