Need help 1996 gmc 1500 5.7 4l60e 4wd trans slipping in park and grinding when manually put in first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cagee2000

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying the trans was just rebuilt. Due to a bad torque converter the lockup clutch failed.so I decided to have the trans rebuilt while I had it out . Now when the trans is in the park gear is popping or clicking as the truck moves forward while in park.When you try to put it in first manually you have to hold it. it makes a grinding noise. I had no issues with the linkage before all this and it doesn’t seem to be sprung or anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks also when its in drive the trans shifts like it is supposed to.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when the trans is in the park gear is popping or clicking as the truck moves forward while in park.
Apparently the parking pawl doesn't actually hold. Possibly broken, more-likely out-of-adjustment or the internal linkage is screwed-up. PROBABLY an easy fix, may require dropping the pan.

When you try to put it in first manually you have to hold it. it makes a grinding noise.
Again, sounds like the parking pawl is in the way when it should be entirely retracted.

Starting to sound like the problem is internal, you'll likely be dropping the pan to fix it.

If this is NOT the parking pawl...there's real trouble in that trans. There's nowhere that gears should be "grinding".

cagee2000

Reaction score
Apparently the parking pawl doesn't actually hold. Possibly broken, more-likely out-of-adjustment or the internal linkage is screwed-up. PROBABLY an easy fix, may require dropping the pan.

Again, sounds like the parking pawl is in the way when it should be entirely retracted.

Starting to sound like the problem is internal, you'll likely be dropping the pan to fix it.

If this is NOT the parking pawl...there's real trouble in that trans. There's nowhere that gears should be "grinding".
Yea it shouldn’t be grinding another weird part is if you select 1st with your hand it won’t click in like other gears it springs back into 2nd Thanks for the help

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you are adventurous you can try dropping the pan and checking the manual valve and associated linkage. usually the parking pawl makes a cheating sound when engaged not a grinding noise. but maybe tomato tomatoe

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another weird part is if you select 1st with your hand it won’t click in like other gears it springs back into 2nd
You need to verify your shift linkage from top to bottom, including "inside the pan".

Do the easy stuff first, see what happens before moving-on to the messy part.

cagee2000

Reaction score
You need to verify your shift linkage from top to bottom, including "inside the pan".

Do the easy stuff first, see what happens before moving-on to the messy part.
I’m taking the truck back to the trans guy will update everyone on the issue

cagee2000

Reaction score
Update: the linkage inside the transmission was adjusted wrong when i went to put it in gear it bent the rod explaining why the park and 1st wasnt there. now on to a weird miss fire issue.