4L60E bulletproofing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive got a 97 K1500 (305 Vortec with 4L60E push button 4x4 if that matter) Shes got 315,000 on it (idk if stock tranny or not) but its till in good condition. But I have the truck pulled off the road for some major repairs. Is there anything I can do to my transmission to bulletproof it? I mostly DD it and tow a 17' fiberglass boat. So id rather not swap a 4L80.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you planning on pulling the tranny for a full rebuild? If not I'd just drive it until something breaks and then have a builder beef it up when the time comes. IMO there's no magic fix that you can do externally. 4L60Es can handle quite a bit of power if built properly, but it's going to cost you. Most "bulletproof" rebuilds I've seen are in excess of $2500. My build in my V6 truck was roughly $1800 and that's not anywhere near top of the line, although a lot better than factory.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, was really hoping to be able to paint it black and be golden! LOL jk. Yeah, i was gonna pull it with the motor and have it gone through while I did the motor. I plan on keeping the truck a good while so I dont mind putting a decent chunk of coin in to the tranny to not worry about it. Ive looked in to 4L80 swaps and since its my DD people say the ratios are too low for a practical DD use. It pulls my 2500# MAX 17' boat. Think it can handle that? The farthest I usually go with it is maybe 20 miles one way. Im running 285/75/16s for tires. Just maybe looking for a good parts list to give the builder when it gets done.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd talk to the user "rhino" on this forum, he gave me some good advice about parts to use in my rebuild to achieve the shifts I wanted. Honestly though I'd be more concerned about finding a good reputable builder that you trust. Chances are they'll know exactly what you need for your purposes.

I think the 4L60E would hold up to towing that boat, no problem.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, if itll hold up then maybe Ill just wait and see how it handles it. Should I still be towing that in third?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My gut instinct tells me that's probably a good idea, however I'm no towing expert so someone else can probably answer that better than I can.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I have the tranny cooler in my radiator already. Its got the four lines coming out of it as well as the two coolant lines (six total) and when it warms up and i get a gauge pod i plan on a temp gauge. What is ideal temp for these and when should i get worried?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I have the tranny cooler in my radiator already. Its got the four lines coming out of it as well as the two coolant lines (six total) and when it warms up and i get a gauge pod i plan on a temp gauge. What is ideal temp for these and when should i get worried?
That cooler built into the radiator is a joke. Do yourself a favor a buy a external one for $70 and bypass the factory one. That factory will almost heat soak your trans fluid. Heat is what kills a trans life.