454 to Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a 6.5 owner, I would like to give you this advice. Get a rabid squirrel to chew on your left nipple. Have an opossum rip your right nipple off. Get into a fist fight with a kangaroo on meth. Piss off a rattlesnake with an under bite to the point that it knaws on your manhood to the point that if you ever pee through your swollen member again that it works like the water sprayer in the vegetable aisle. Then get ***** repeatedly by an entire family of silverback gorillas with sexually transmitted diseases. Finally go to sleep naked in a prison without lube while handcuffed.

Owning a 6.5 is worse than that.

My ass still hurts.

I really feel the need to quote myself here because it really does apply.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For me I have enough custom projects going of my own and other peoples that I have no interest in swapping my dually to a Cummins, I just prefer to buy a tow pig and use it without having to spends thousands more on it. My 454 dually has absolutely no guts towing compared to my Cummins, Now sure I would love to have new truck with a Dmax and Allison but I also don't like car payments so I stay with older stuff. Also I should note that I am only talking about a Diesel truck not gas, I am GM only for a gas truck.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't like one, don't buy one, problem solved. But don't LIE to people and call them all junk. Funny how people who DON'T have one always call them all junk. Or they say they had one 10 years ago and it's the reason they'll never own one again. We don't deny that there was problems with them early on, but MOST of these problems have been worked around, and these engines are proving themselves day in and day out still today.

I've owned a few, I've owned a ton of parts trucks that were all ditched because of bad 6.5's, I've replaced bad 6.5's with gas engines, I've run a GMT400-only salvage yard that got calls all the time looking for good 6.5's, good 6.5 blocks, good 6.5 heads (never had any of them to offer, just bad ones), I had customers constantly singing the woes of their 6.5's, ...

Yeah, I'm lying. You caught me.

I should dig up that thread from the 6.5 forum so you can go tell those guys that they're all wrong and shouldn't say such awful things about their own engines. While you own a Duramax. lol

Richard

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I now own a DURAMAX, I NEVER DENIED that. I have ALSO said NUMEROUS times I wished I would have left the 6.5L in it instead of swapping after seeing what peopel have done with them recently. I have seen the shortcomings of the GMT-400's frame with high torque as I'm putting more down than probably 99% of the GMT-400 owners out there. And I DID say there was problems with them stock, I NEVER denied that, but those shortcomings for the mpost part can be overcome. Otherwise swap in a OPTIMIZER or P400, and forget about engine problems. DB pumps can be swapped onto any of them(even a DURAMAX if you got the money to spend), so don't restrict yourself to just 1 or 2 years in your search.

The bias here against teh 6.5L is the WORST I have seen of ANY forum, even worse than COMP D, and THATS saying something. MANY people got burned by the 6.5, I get that, hell, mine let me down to, hence why theres a DURAMAX under the hood now. But in hindsight, the issues can be worked around for the most part. And as to the comments about getting a DODGE, WHY? They used the SAME brakes GM did that everybody complained about, the CUMMINS engine has it's own sets of issues(I used to work on them all day long, so don't try and tell me they don't give trouble. Worked at a small dealership, and I was booked WEEKS out with CUMMINS work), and at teh end of the day, it's still a DODGE that it comes in, and who wants to deal with all the squeeks, rattles, and falling apart of a DODGE. And when I did my engine swap, I could have picked any of them, but the CUMMINS was off the table for NUMEROUS reasons. Like I said, used to work on them, couldn't pay me neough to listen to them noisy things anymore.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quit whining about it. Every one is entitled to his own opinion. Nobody is makin a personal attack.

Sent from my 454

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quit whining about it. Every one is entitled to his own opinion. Nobody is makin a personal attack.

Sent from my 454
And where am I whining? It gets REAL old hearing people dog the old 6.5 when it isn't that bad an engine. I'm simply stating my opinion of them and replying to the comments directed at me.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
If you're standing up for the 6.5 I CAN'T take you seriously, NO matter how MUCH you capitalize...

And to be on subject the 454 trumps the 6.5 IMO, then again I'm entirely for gas vehicles.

Sent from my powered iPhone

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And where am I whining? It gets REAL old hearing people dog the old 6.5 when it isn't that bad an engine. I'm simply stating my opinion of them and replying to the comments directed at me.
Yes, I now own a DURAMAX, I NEVER DENIED that. I have ALSO said NUMEROUS times I wished I would have left the 6.5L in it instead of swapping after seeing what peopel have done with them recently. I have seen the shortcomings of the GMT-400's frame with high torque as I'm putting more down than probably 99% of the GMT-400 owners out there. And I DID say there was problems with them stock, I NEVER denied that, but those shortcomings for the mpost part can be overcome. Otherwise swap in a OPTIMIZER or P400, and forget about engine problems. DB pumps can be swapped onto any of them(even a DURAMAX if you got the money to spend), so don't restrict yourself to just 1 or 2 years in your search.

The bias here against teh 6.5L is the WORST I have seen of ANY forum, even worse than COMP D, and THATS saying something. MANY people got burned by the 6.5, I get that, hell, mine let me down to, hence why theres a DURAMAX under the hood now. But in hindsight, the issues can be worked around for the most part. And as to the comments about getting a DODGE, WHY? They used the SAME brakes GM did that everybody complained about, the CUMMINS engine has it's own sets of issues(I used to work on them all day long, so don't try and tell me they don't give trouble. Worked at a small dealership, and I was booked WEEKS out with CUMMINS work), and at teh end of the day, it's still a DODGE that it comes in, and who wants to deal with all the squeeks, rattles, and falling apart of a DODGE. And when I did my engine swap, I could have picked any of them, but the CUMMINS was off the table for NUMEROUS reasons. Like I said, used to work on them, couldn't pay me neough to listen to them noisy things anymore.
Yes, you can put a mechanical pump on, if you want to shell out about a grand for a good pump and associated lines, harness, yada yada. Still doesn't solve some of the bigger issues.

Buying an Optimizer to flat-out replace the entire engine is a big chunk of change to throw down. Bro...$6K+ and you still own a 6.5TD.

How would you address the weak block without an expensive replacement? There's no work-around for that. The AMG replacement block ain't cheap either...

I'll never understand 6.5TD apologists. My favorite one though was a guy that similar to you, seemed prepared to defend them to the death. That is, until his catastrophically grenaded, and he gave up on them as well, and joined the "6.5's are junk" club. :D

Richard