454 to Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't like one, don't buy one, problem solved. But don't LIE to people and call them all junk. Funny how people who DON'T have one always call them all junk. Or they say they had one 10 years ago and it's the reason they'll never own one again. We don't deny that there was problems with them early on, but MOST of these problems have been worked around, and these engines are proving themselves day in and day out still today.

Not giving you crap here but why don't you swap back or sell your current vehicle and buy one with a 6.5?

ps, Richard has owned more gmt400s than just about anybody on this planet he also had a 6.5 about two and a half years ago in a 58 Apache.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not giving you crap here but why don't you swap back or sell your current vehicle and buy one with a 6.5?

ps, Richard has owned more gmt400s than just about anybody on this planet he also had a 6.5 about two and a half years ago in a 58 Apache.
I don't think he swapped a 6.5 in to his car. I was lookin at swapping a diesel in place of my 454 and wanted some input.

Sent from my 454

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I don't think he swapped a 6.5 in to his car. I was lookin at swapping a diesel in place of my 454 and wanted some input.

Sent from my 454

Damn I hate when this happens. Someone asks a simple question with one thing in it that goes against the grain of everyone else's thinking and it just goes to piss in a pot.

If you're going to diesel swap, a 5.9L 12 Valve is the way to go.
Simple, reliable, plenty of resources on going through with the conversion; plus it's a Cummins. And a Chevy. What could go wrong? (No one answer that question.)

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I may just start modding the 454 and work with what I've got. Nothing really wrong with that motor

Sent from my 454

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Richard is definitely not wrong in saying that the 6.2/6.5 have a overwhelming track record for failure.

So...here's how it should go

You have a 3/4 ton 2wd with a big block, do not swap to the 6.2/6.5. Period. It's going to cost too much for the only benefit of fuel mileage, which isn't a huge gain in the first place (better than that big block, but not enough)

To go to a 6.2 mechanical with a stick I bet if you weren't hard pressed on options you could do it for less than a grand. Not worth the trouble

To go to a 6.5 turbo stick (which would be a 93 model) would be hard to find, a little cool cause you would have a turbo diesel stick shift. In your situation i might do that, but I am one of the few that is still okay with the 6.5 so yeah, not much help there...

2 options remain if you want to stay gas >

Go 5.3/6.0l swap or put some aluminum heads on your big block and keep your foot out of the accelerator and put the rest of your truck on a diet (if there is anything left to shed, steel wheels, tool boxes, steel bumpers etc etc)

1 option if you have the money and want diesel > buy a wrecked 2wd stick Duramax and start swapping. I'm not that big a fan of Cummins, they weigh more (dry weight Duramax is 800lbs ish, Cummins is over 1100lbs), Cummins don't fit nearly as well, blah blah blah

...or piss on all this and buy a sunfire

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The more I use the truck now that I'm out of college and have a decent job I'm not worried about mileage and would rather use the truck for work like it was intended

Sent from my 454

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
In that case I would keep it big block. Its cooler, especially after throwing some mods at it, then just drive it.

Buy a diesel truck later

...or a sunfire, maybe this nice blue one in my laneway?

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
In that case I would keep it big block. Its cooler, especially after throwing some mods at it, then just drive it.

Buy a diesel truck later

...or a sunfire, maybe this nice blue one in my laneway?

I sense you are trying to get rid of a Sunfire?

Meh, I could be wrong though.....:anitoof:

------------------------------------------------------

I would definitely keep the 454 for a little while though, you can't go wrong either way when it boils down to it. Least I don't think you can.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am going to be the kill joy here, I like GMT 400's as much as anybody, but if you want to get in to a truck with good mileage, torque, and HP, then go buy yourself either a first gen or second gen dodge with a Cummins and the NV4500 5 speed, I have one as my daily and I love it. I also have kept my numerous GMT trucks too, but for mileage and pulling the Dodge is so far superior. No I know you can get a newer GM with a Dmax and or swap the GMT 400 etc, etc, but for not for nearly as cheap as you can get in to a Dodge with a Cummins, there is a first gen with a 12v and a 5 speed locally for sale here with 136K miles and they are asking $3900 for it. Anyway just my opinion. In fact I am about to sell my crew cab dually with 454 to buy another Dodge.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am going to be the kill joy here, I like GMT 400's as much as anybody, but if you want to get in to a truck with good mileage, torque, and HP, then go buy yourself either a first gen or second gen dodge with a Cummins and the NV4500 5 speed, I have one as my daily and I love it. I also have kept my numerous GMT trucks too, but for mileage and pulling the Dodge is so far superior. No I know you can get a newer GM with a Dmax and or swap the GMT 400 etc, etc, but for not for nearly as cheap as you can get in to a Dodge with a Cummins, there is a first gen with a 12v and a 5 speed locally for sale here with 136K miles and they are asking $3900 for it. Anyway just my opinion. In fact I am about to sell my crew cab dually with 454 to buy another Dodge.

Blasphemy!

If I could afford it I would be doing a Cummins swap in our dually. Instead I will continue to slam my weener in a door and deal with the 6.turd a bit longer... Apparently I have the junk under the hood that I thought that I had because my year 2000 104k engine with all of the factory upgrades is sitting dead between the frame rails proving itself day in and day out every day.