454 to Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You can swap in a quality cummins / duramax / powerstroke of your choice with significant time and money invested into it. However, if it was up to me, there are a ton of things you can do to your 454 to get good torque/hp numbers for a lot less time and money. You can even swap in a full race engine and built tranny for less than it would take to get a quality diesel in your truck. Shop around on racingjunk.com I have gotten engines from private machine shops with quality internals and professionally built with warentee's for less than a summit/jegs crate engine.

Dont waste your time with a 6.2/6.5

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not trying to get an extreme amount of extra power and torque but rather fuel economy. I want to keep my power and torque while increasing my mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With diesel costing the same as gas and if I can go from 10 mpg to 20 mpg I'll save at least $5-6k a year

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly if you really want a GMT400 with a diesel, buy one and sell your truck to offset the cost. You'll be money ahead, and way ahead in effort.

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Might even be better off swapping in a small block, and just soup it up a bit, you could easily get the same power or even a little more, and get better fuel economy at the same time. Maybe mild 383?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
that would be another great option, get a crate RV small block and keep your torque numbers low then even maybe re-gear to keep the rpms low on the highway.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem with that is that I have a good amount of money in the truck, and already have a use for the 454. I found a donor Cummins for $1600 so can't beat that price

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Not a bad price, but don't forget all of the other things you will need to do the swap, harness, ecu, motor mounts, trans adapter, etc.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's for a whole truck, entire donor