454 to Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 Chevy C2500HD with a 454 and 4L80E. I was wondering if anyone had some information, thoughts, done it before, anything about swapping to a diesel engine. I know the 5.9 12 Valve is a popular swap, but I was wondering about doing a 6.5 or 6.2 swap. Is there any advantage to swapping in a 6.5 or a 6.2? Can they be modified to get more power? Because I know stock the 454 came with more power and torque than both the 6.5 and the 6.2. Also looking to swap the 4L80E for a manual transmission. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

white_trash88

Im too drunk to taste that chicken
Reaction score
Any reason why not?
They are notorious for cracking blocks and heads, also boiling their turbos over, theyre indirect injection so its extremely difficult to make power. Their compression ratio is about 5 - 6 more than cummins

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are notorious for cracking blocks and heads, also boiling their turbos over, theyre indirect injection so its extremely difficult to make power. Their compression ratio is about 5 - 6 more than cummins
So a Cummins would be the way to go?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah either swap in the Cummins or leave it alone. You will not be happy going from a 454 to a 6.2/6.5, guaranteed, and the truck will be worthless once you get through.

Richard

axtman

Reaction score
check local laws in several states its illegal to take a vehicle from gas to diesel. you may have trouble getting it inspected and approved for road use.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check local laws in several states its illegal to take a vehicle from gas to diesel. you may have trouble getting it inspected and approved for road use.
No emissions testing in either state that I live in so not worried about the legality of it.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only advantage to a 6.5 is fuel mileage. My 3500 4x4 srw is getting 18-20 mpg with 4:10 gears and toting a heavy bale bed and a half ton of tools.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk